Moving information

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Moving information

Postby grputnam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:28 pm

My data base is patient with room numbers. When a patient leaves I move the information to another data base of former patients. When I move them I thought that would delete them from the first data base. It has not done that so I delete that row.
When I delete that row it deletes everything in the row. I would like the room number to stay. Is there a way to keep the room number from deletilng?
Gordon
grputnam

Re: Moving information

Postby curtterp » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:18 pm

I would use the DBPopup Field for room numbers. You create a table with the room numbers as the records, then you can just pick the correct room number.

You could use the popup field, but that is limited to 20 items. DBPopup gives you so many more items to choose
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby grputnam » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:08 am

I am using DBPopup. What I would like is that the rooms that do not have a patient in them to stay open but in the data base. I can add new with the room number easy enough but would like to make the room numbers constant.
Gordon
grputnam

Postby aa6vhDave » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 am

What I believe you are asking for a way to continue having the record, but with empty values except for the room number (rather than deleting the entire record itself).

Unfortunately, HanDBase does not have "macro command" capability to blank out multiple columns of a record with one command. You would have to blank (or clear) the columns one at a time.

I have a similar situation. I have set up a form for that record that has a series of "Clear" buttons that clear the column each button is attached to. So I just press the clear buttons in order to blank out columns that I need blanking, then re-save the record. Not as slick as having just one button, but it does work.
aa6vhDave

Postby mjhanna » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm

You might also consider making a parent/child "relationship" between a pair of databases, one for the rooms and one for the patients.

I would have the parent database be rooms/wards, whose records could include not only the room/ward number but also information about that room/ward. I would also have (at least) two "place holder" rooms, one that was "not yet assigned" and one that was "discharged".

Then you could have the child database be for patient records. The "room number" field would be a relationship field "showing" the room number from the linked the parent database record. Whenever you clicked on that field you could reassign this patient to a different room record or to one of the "place holder" room records.

When in the Rooms database the relationship field would show which record(s) from the patient database were assigned to that room. Configured in this manner you could have multiple patients assigned to the same room/ward.

Hope this gives you ideas,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase for Windows