ipad and desktop scaling + form / record printing

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

ipad and desktop scaling + form / record printing

Postby Frans1881 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 am

I have Handbase for ipad and for desktop (windows)

Issue 1: I created my database and from on the ipad mini (as opposed to doing it on the desktop) so that the appearance of the form would be exact for the tablet as was suggested in the forums. However, when the database (and accompanying forms) are opened in the desktop version, the form extends beyond the desktop screen and there is no way to view or otherwise access the contents of the lower 1/4 - 1/2 of the form, which contains various data fields and buttons. The size and spacing

Other details:
The database form specs: width: 396, height: 610, scaling factor: 2
The form is designed to be used with the ipad in portrait mode. When I use Handbase in landscape mode or leaving the orientation unlocked, the program often becomes unstable, leading to unexpected crashes, and/or loss of data. Re-designing the form in landscape mode is not an option because of the risk for data loss / corruption.
The scaling factor of the ipad is bundled / set with the desktop. Hence, i don't have the option of having a different scaling factor for the ipad and the desktop
I tried temporarily editing the scaling factor on the desktop application while it is being used. However I noticed that any editing the form on the desktop application totally messes up handbase. Synchronization between desktop and ipad subsequently becomes impossible (they get all sorts of write errors / access violations)

Issue 2: Printing record using a form
On the ipad, an open form can be printed as it is displayed on the screen. However on the desktop, printing an open form only results in printing all the raw data of the open record

Any help or workaround would be appreciated.
Frans1881

Re: ipad and desktop scaling + form / record printing

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:31 am

Sorry for the delayed reply. When I designed the forms support for iPads I never imagined they'd someday have a higher screen resolution than a desktop computer! As of right now there is no easy way to support your situation. Just brainstorming ideas for workarounds- what if you designed a form for the desktop and included a small button at the top of your iPad optimized form that could jump to it. I realize this means an extra tap each time, but if your desktop is used more than the iPad, you could always go the other direction as well (a desktop optimized form with a button to jump to the iPad).

As to your second question, the form print as a PDF is at this time only supported on iOS and Android- the desktops don't have this feature right now. Of course you can always take a screenshot and print to a pdf that way on the desktop.

Sorry I don't have better news on either of your questions!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for Windows