HandBase HTML custom Print

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

HandBase HTML custom Print

Postby tlarson327 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:25 am

Hello all. Using HanDbase 4.0, Windows Home XP and HTML JEDIT for some medical treatment planning. I am trying to learn how to print a record in a custom format by using the HTML capability but am having NO success. I have read an introductory book on HTML but cannot get the field data from a HandBase record into HTML. It has become somewhat of an obsession for me at this point. Anybody out there who will walk me through this?

To make it easier: I have the restaurant list tutorial done in HandBase. I would like to learn how to take the restaurant name, food type and rating data from record McDonald's and print them using HTML in which the restaurant name is in bold, then two carriage returns, then food type in 18 point, then 4 carriage returns followed by rating. I know how to do the bolding, carriage returns and font changes for HTML I just can't get the field data from HanDbase to the HTML.

If what I am asking is too complicated, I am willing to hire a tutor to teach me if someone can recommend one. Again it is getting to the point of obsession. Please help if you can it will save my marriage (ha ha).

thanks
tom larson
tlarson327

Re: HandBase HTML custom Print

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:27 am

Hi Tom,

I will be the first to admit that the reports feature in the Windows Desktop lacks some good tutorials. This is something I hope we can remedy in the future. Here's what I'd propose- perhaps you can copy and paste what you've done for your report thus far into your response here and maybe something will stand out as a simple mistake? Please also provide some details as to what is not functioning in the report. Whether it's not showing it in the list, or it's not showing anything in the output. Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby tlarson327 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:05 am

I tried to simplify by using the Joe Bloggs example contained in the HanDBase Desktop 4.0 Manual.
I repeatedly receive the error message: field is not recognized. I tried to attach the files but neither was allowed (pdb or htm) secondary considered attack vectors. So see below. I am unable to get Field 1 and Field 2 data inserted into the HTML document. Field 1 and Field 2 produce Errors - not recognized.

html code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

"file:///E|/joe bloggs.pdb"
<title>HTML attempts</title>

<b>Name:</b><field 1><br><br><br>
<field 2>

Result when HTML code is run = "file:///E|/joe bloggs.pdb" Name:

HanDBase file is located in same location as HTML document on my E drive. file name Joe Bloggs.pdb.
It is nothing more than standard data base record with two fields: field 1 text and value entered Joe Bloggs and field 2 text and value entered blanket.

any advice greatly appreciated.
tom
tlarson327

Postby exmpro » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 am

I have done exactly the same as the previous writer, ie, used the Joe Bloggs example, but cannot get any report to print.

Please let us have clearer instructions, with an example that we can modify for our own purposes.

Thanks
exmpro

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 am

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion- we're working on that now and I'll update here when we have something online to download. In the interim, what didn't work for your case? Did you get the same error message mentioned above, or did you see something different? Let me know so I can help you solve your issue!
dhaupert

Postby exmpro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 am

Hallo,

I don't get any error messages at all, but the HTML page just shows as

myaddress.pdb name:

Glad you are are working on the issue.

Greetings

Michael
exmpro

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 am

Hi Michael,

Just an update- I didn't forget about you. Well, actually I did, but I remembered again! Sorry about that.

Hoping to make up for that with our first example posting:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/gallery.html ... ecord=4675

The link will take you to a sample PDB file and a sample report template. There is also a readme to show you where and how to set these files up so that the report will run.

We are planning on doing up a more elaborate example using our Time Billing sample database that is included with some HanDBase versions. It was modified slightly to support invoicing and should be a good example for setting up an invoice template.

Let me know your thoughts and if there are any questions. Sorry again for the delay.
dhaupert

Postby exmpro » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 am

Hallo David,
Yes I was wondering if I had disappeared off your radar.
I've tried the sample report you posted, and it does answer the first and most basic question which had been bothering me, i.e how to link the .pdb to the report. Well, that is now solved, and as you say, I can brush up my knowledge of HTM(L) elsewhere.

Michael
exmpro

Return to HanDBase for Windows