Desktop Palm to iPhone

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Desktop Palm to iPhone

Postby mlboyd12 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:09 pm

I have some db's on my desktop in the Palm OS version 3.x. I no longer use the Palm and want to load those db's onto an iPhone 3GS. I have the HanDBase platform on the iPhone and the iPhone add on on my PC. I can sync the preloaded db's from the iPhone to the desktop, but can not sync the previously created db's on the desktop to the iPhone. Help!
mlboyd12

Re: Desktop Palm to iPhone

Postby dhaupert » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post. HanDBase for iPhone should be able to read any databases in the 3.x format. Here's what you do to get them installed. Assuming you have the Plus add-on for the iPhone platform:

Open the Palm 3.x database in the desktop program.
Choose File, then Install to Smartphone/Handheld
Choose your iPhone device from the list
Go to Configure, iPhone/iPod touch users
Select Sync and begin a synchronization.

The file should then be installed to the device.

If there is any issue with the above, please let me know the details and where in the steps you came up with something different!
dhaupert

Postby ColinJS » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought there must be a better way. :oops:

When I started with the iPod, I altered the settings to make the desktop overwrite the iPod. Then (making sure I had backup copies of course) synced. Not forgetting to put the settings back to normal afterwards. Next time I really will read the manual first... Though with several databases, it might be quicker this way?

Colin
ColinJS

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:21 am

I don't believe that would work- the desktop application must first open the 3.x database, because it has to be converted to the 4.0 format. The conduit does not handle this, so I don't believe it would work unless you first open the database in the HanDBase Desktop application!
dhaupert

Postby ColinJS » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 am

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Just tried it again to make sure...

Copied a different database from network backup to directory on new PC. synchronised. The database was not installed and was deleted from the hard drive. Copied from network again. Set synch to make HD overwrite ipod. the database was installed on the ipod.

So I read the emails again. Always a good move. Somewhere along the line I lost the version3-to-version4 thing. From my point of view I was just concerned with getting it from the Palm (version 4 I guess) to the iPod, which is what the subject line reads.

Apologies for confusion, must read more carefully next time before jumping in!

Cheers,

Colin
ColinJS

Return to HanDBase for Windows