Keyboard Shortcuts?

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Keyboard Shortcuts?

Postby CarlCass » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 am

Hi

I'm still a new user with this software. Please point me in the right direction if I've missed something obvious to everyone else (not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately ;) ).

Over the last 20 years, I've become accustomed to most database front ends having a keyboard shortcut to jump to the next or previous record in a list/table after storing changes made to the current record in an edit window. The desktop Edit Record window has the [+] & [-] buttons that have the same function but there does not appear to be any way to "push" these buttons using the keyboard. Additionally, there's no obvious Tab Order scheme to the Edit Record window after any re-order of the fields shown in the table so repeatedly pressing the Tab key to get to the proper [+] or [-] button demands nearly as much effort and attention as mousing to it would require. The 4 other buttons at the bottom of the Edit Record window have accelerators accessed by holding Alt and pressing the underlined character of the desired button: OK Cancel Details New. There appears to be no response to pressing Alt- or Alt+.

I ask about this minor item because I often run through a database record-by-record auditing and changing entries. The extensive navigation using the mouse leaves my arm tired after a few minutes and requires hand-eye coordination: not my strong suite. :)

Thanks for your time and I greatly appreciate any pointers like "RTB" or a link to what I've missed.

If this is a valid observation, how about designing in a few keyboard “accelerators” like [Ctrl] [>] or [Alt] [Right Arrow] for next Record? This was a fairly straightforward operation in the days when I programmed in Visual Basic (1 thru 3). Being unfamiliar with the HanDBase development platform, I hope I’m not asking for the moon…
History: 1984 Casio Digital Diarys & Sharp Wizards, Palm 500 & Pro & IIIc, Compaq Aero 1100/1250, Treo90, Tungsten C & Treo 700p, Nokia E63 / E71x, Samsung Galaxy S & Nexus (CM) & now LG Nexus 4 (CM)
CarlCass

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:14 am

Hi,

Thanks for your post. This is a great question- something I haven't had a single request for, but makes perfect sense. Indeed there is no keyboard shortcut to next and previous record at this moment. It's actually an incredibly simple change and I'm adding it to the todo list for the next update.

Thanks again.
dhaupert

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts?

Postby CarlCass » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm

THANKS!
Again, HanDBase is a truly great piece of software - it fills the need that caused me to begin carrying a Casio Digital Diary in the 80's: When I'm in the field and need information I don't want to trudge back to my desk to find it or carry along reams of printouts and references. To-date, HanDBase is the simpliest & quickest program / method I've found to access multiple databases on my Nokia E63. That it handles the .CSV import/export tasks on the desktop with only an occaisional hiccup (user defined, of course :D ) is just the cherry on the icing on the cake on the ice cream.
Thanks again!
CarlCass

Return to HanDBase for Windows