Abnormal program terminations

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Abnormal program terminations

Postby nutrageous » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Happy New Year, Dave!

I've been having abnormal program terminations - suddenly HandBase announces it is going home for the day. Which I wouldn't mind except that I lose the entries I've made lately. How often? It doesn't happen every day, but a few times a week, and the recapturing of information (telephone numbers, zip codes, parent's first name) is just annoying enough to me that I've taken to obsessively tapping the "Save" button in a way I havent done since MSWord put autosave in.

It seems to come out of nowhere; I'm using Palm TX, WinXP Pro, and usually have a bunch of windows open - Outlook, MSWord, Windows Explorer. Then I'll turn back to HandBase and I get tossed out of the program with nary a by-your-leave and no option to save. I have a very simple database with pick lists for some fields which incidentally sometimes corrupt the pick list entries, no jump buttons or anything fancy. There ARE 2000 records now, could this be a problem?

Best wishes
nutrageous

Re: Abnormal program terminations

Postby nutrageous » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi, Dave,

It's doing it again. I opened HandBase (4), went to my handheld name, opened the large database in question, and clicked on a record. ran up and down the fields, then went to close with the close box (red x), but nothing happens. I then slide down impatiently to the OK-check radio button, and the little Handbase.exe window with the "abnormal program termination" pops up and closes the database. This is how I lose the last typed information, as unless I think to save, we get booted out. Oddly enough, HandBase was still running. I am running XP Pro, gee golly whizzle I don't even want to think of what might happen with the next OS down the road.
nutrageous

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi there,

Very sorry to hear about this problem. Not sure what is causing it, but a few questions:

1. What version of the desktop are you using?
2. Do you have the security option in preferences set to auto close databases after x minutes of no activity?
3. Can you try leaving open a different database and see if that happens?

Let me know!
dhaupert

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I am a long-term Palm user that moved on to Windows. If your Palm runs 5x, take a look at this application: http://www.northglide.com/palm/onguardbackup.html.

Rosco Locker is an application that locks user specified applications in memory - might be worth looking at. The link: http://www.resco.net/palm/locker/

Are you running a 3rd party launcher? Some of them demand a lot of resources from the device and can cause the device to reset or loose data. I had that specific problem and ended up dumping the 3rd party launcher I was using.
Ben

Postby nutrageous » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am

Hi, Dave,

Happy Monday! I made one entry into my Very Large Database, stepped into another (MSWord) window, came back and got the musical little beep-I-don't-like-you. Then a pause, processor working and no response as yet, then my bugbear of a window "Abnormal program termination."

I stop, re-open HandBase 4 Pro, open my V.L.D. and retype the entry. Hastily clicking save database for good luck. It's happened maybe four or five times since my last entry almost 3 weeks ago, and I still have no warning or good reason or what not.

I checked preferences for auto-close by time; it isn't checked. Could it be because my V.L.D. is very old? It dates back to HB2.0

Not looking for an answer today, just keeping you updated.

-Best wishes,
Nutrageous
nutrageous

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi,

Is there any chance this VLD could be shared? I could try this on a few windows systems here and see if it happens for me as well!
dhaupert

Postby nutrageous » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi, it did it again.

I opened HandBase 4 Pro, clicked on the desired database, searched and found my record and clicked on it

---Edit record screen. I found the information I wanted, and then went to click on the close button (orange upper right x box) and - bink - Abnormal program termination box.

I guess it wanted me to save, but this is pretty much the sequence that gets me thrown out without the chance to save.

Does it sound like anything besides spastic end user?

-nutrageous
nutrageous

Postby nutrageous » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Tried again and got "External exception C000001D" window.
nutrageous

Return to HanDBase for Windows