Form not active - or working

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Form not active - or working

Postby fredlef » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi

I have three forms in a tabbed format arrangement on the desktop version. They are all in the same database. I have a fourth form activated from a button on all three forms. The issue is with the tabs. The forms are all copies of each other. The first form is called UserInfo, second form is Events and third form is Lists. When in the UserInfo form I assign UserInfo tab to be active and do nothing. I assign the middle tab to "Jump to Form" and choose Event and the third tab to "Jump to Form" and Lists. Then I click on the middle tab again and the Jump to Form form setting has changed to the name of form UserInfo. I tried just creating a button on that form and assigning it to "Jump to Form" Event and when I click off that control and then select it again it has changed to form UserInfo. The same behaviour is seen from the tabs on the List Form. It is as though the program is not seeing the "Event" form. I tried deleting the Event Form and recreating it by copying the Lists form and the same behavior is seen. Tried rebooting the computer in case something was stuck in memory - same thing. Very odd.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Fred

Oh - I have the same setup on another database that is working properly.
fredlef

Re: Form not active - or working

Postby fredlef » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

This may have something to do with form order. If I move the "Event" form to the top I see similar behaviour but not it's the Event form that is getting 'stuck' in the control and not the UserInfo form.

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Postby dhaupert » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 am

Hi,

Sounds like a possible bug- is it possible for you to send the databases and forms so I can have a look? My email address is listed below. Thanks!
dhaupert

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am

Hello,

I am able to reproduce a similar problem. I can't reproduce it with the UserInfo form but I can with the Lists form. I selected the Shot Lists tab and checked it's settings and then did the same for Events. When I got to User Info it was set to jump to the Events form. I changed it to UserInfo. Then I selected Events again and then selected User Info. It was back to being set to jump to the Events form.

Can you let us know, when you created the forms, which was the first you actually created? Then, did you copy the entire form or did you copy the individual controls to a new blank form?

From what I can tell it might have something to do with the Events form specifically. I created a button, as you mentioned and set it to Jump to the Events form. I then tried changing that button to jump to UserInfo form. When I selected the Lists tab or Events tab and switched back to the new button it still showed Events. However if I selected Lists it did stay stuck at Lists.

I'm reporting this to the developer as a bug. As of yet I haven't figured out a workaround. Even creating a new Tab and setting it to Jump to UserInfo if I happen to select the Events tab it sets the new User Info tab to jump to Events.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby fredlef » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:12 am

David - The first form I created was actually the Maintenance form. And since that wasn't intended to enter any data I'm wondering if it's not the cause of the issue. The first form that i created was the user info form - however -- before I sent the databases to Dave I had deleted and recreated the Events form moving it to the top of the list - which changed the behavior from what I described to what you describe. I am going to try deleting and recreating the maintenance form and if that doesn't resolve the issue I am going to just delete the forms database and start over - hoping for the best.

On a related question - if I send a forms database to someone who has the associated data database can you tell me if that will work with their data database? Or are their hooks in the data database which they would need in order for the forms to work properly?

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Postby fredlef » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:27 pm

I recreated all the forms starting with the 3 forms that will work as a tabbed form - instead of the maintenance form which I did first when I had the error. This time everything is working fine including the maintenance form. I suspect that creating a form that had neither new or edit selected as the first form did something to cause the issue.

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello,

Sorry for not responding to this sooner. You'd said it was working and I had a lot of other things on my plate to try and get to.

Actually my suspicion is that it's due to changing the Form order. I was working on a separate project and encountered the same issue after changing the form order. I'll look into this further and speak to Dave about adding it to the Bug list.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase for Windows