Posiitioning and resizing controls in HandDBase Forms

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Posiitioning and resizing controls in HandDBase Forms

Postby geoff » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:15 pm

I have having trouble moving and resizing control in forms. Some examples are:

Button:
(1) click and drag on east, southeast and south handles - behaviour is expected.
(2) click and drag on any other handle, the button expands/contacts rapidly while the mode button is held down
(3) click and drag inside the button, button can be moved as expected

Shape-Rectangle:
(1) click and drag on east, southeast and south handles - behavior is expected
(2) click and drag on other handles - no effect - no movement
(3) click and drag inside the rectangle - rectangle moves rapidly - much faster (and accelerating) than mouse movement while mouse button is down.

I would request some guidance on how to get correct/reasonable behaviour for resizing/moving controls using the mouse.

geoff

Re: Posiitioning and resizing controls in HandDBase Forms

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks Geoff for this post. I am seeing the same behavior you are reporting and logging the upper left corner rapid resizing as a bug to be fixed in the future.

In the interim, please use the bottom right corning for resizing and dragging the center of the control for movement.

As for the shapes, I'm not seeing the accelerated dragging you are seeing, and am thinking it's perhaps a bug related to scale factor. Is it possible you could send me your database and forms file so I can try to debug your exact configuration? My email is listed below- thanks!
dhaupert

Postby geoff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 am

Thanks for the feed back.

The problem with the shapes (both rectangles and lines) is there - please try to move a shape (<left-click-drag>) the shape takes off!

Geoff
geoff

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Geoff,

It's not for me, but again my forms may have different scale factors than yours, and perhaps that is key. If you can't send the database and forms, let me know what size the form is, and what the scale factor is, as well as what platform you have set to view/preview the form in.
dhaupert

Postby geoff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Before sending you the sample data base I have some other questions that you could help me with:

1. When I create a new database on windows desktop ( as I was trying to do to set up a simple sample to send to you) , I can create forms for it. But once I shut it down (without exporting it to the PDA), then reload it, the forms interface seems to have gone - when adding a new record from the list view. When I do save it to the PDA, then synchronize, the two files (say test.PDB and test_hdf.PDB) appear in the PDA synch folder and the synch completes OK. The DB with forms is then on the PDA - OK. But, when I go back to the original test.PDB (in ..\Documents\HandBase\), load the DB, try to add a record - no forms. I can get the forms back only after copying the test_HDF.PDB file from the synch folder back to my working folder. Any thoughts?

2.I have a question about calculated fields. On the PDA the calculated field is OK, but after synching to the desktop, the calc fields appear blank in the desktop DB, but the correct calculated values appear in the synched Access database. - Any thoughts?

I have tried to upload the sample PDB files, but your upload tool will not allow me to do this - It says "The extension xxx is not allowed"

Thanks Geoff
geoff

Postby geoff » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Further to my previous post. I now know that when a Forms DB is created it seems to be saved in the "Virtual Store" on Windows 7, rather than in the home HanDBase folder.!!! It was my understanding that is the is the MS way of solving (??) security problems when apps saved config files and the like into "Program Files"

Geoff
geoff

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Geoff,

I will have David Devaney reply here later today as Windows 7 is an area he has more experience in than I.

In regards to attaching the form- I mentioned above to email it to me and my email is listed in the bottom of every one of my posts! We have disabled most file types from upload to this forum for privacy and security precautions. Hope that makes sense!
dhaupert

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:13 pm

geoff wrote:Further to my previous post. I now know that when a Forms DB is created it seems to be saved in the "Virtual Store" on Windows 7, rather than in the home HanDBase folder.!!! It was my understanding that is the is the MS way of solving (??) security problems when apps saved config files and the like into "Program Files"

Geoff

Originally all Windows Mobile related files were saved to C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\ActiveSync\USERNAME\. However when Vista came out users began encountering problems with this. The same applies with Windows 7, at least with UAC enabled. We've been testing and re-testing fixes for this for awhile and until last week we had a Development version available that took care of that issue. We finally released those changes as a Release version just last week. Based on our records, your last download was prior to this release. If you log back into the Download page, http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download you'll be able to download the latest version that will correct this issue.

The way we had to fix it though is that now all your sync files, and forms will be in ..\My Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile\USERNAME\. So after you install this update be sure to synchronize immediately, with the HanDBase conduit, so your files are put into the new location. You should then be able to create forms on the desktop that are saved to the proper location and be accessible.

Let us know if you have any problems with this. We and other users did a lot of testing of these changes but it's always possible something was missed.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby geoff » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Dear David

I have installed the latest version (4.1.5d). I note the following behaviour:

1. On adding a User, the folder ..\My Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile\USERNAME is created - as you indicated
2. The Forms file (xx_HDF.PDB) seems to be added here now (this is a change)
3. The database (xx.PDB) is not added here,
4. I get a Synch error until I manually copy both the xxx.PDB and xxx_HDF.PDB files to this folder and the Synch folder.

Once I copy initial versions of files then all seems to work OK.

I note also that when starting the desktop, in the recent databases, I get both the "master" data base: eg:
...\My Documents\HanDBase\xxx.PDB

and the copy in the WindowsMobile folder, ie.
..\My Documents\HanDBase\WindowsMobile\USERNAME\xxx.PDB

My assumption is that it is the former one that one works on (edits etc) not the latter. In which case it should not appear in the Recent list??

I would appreciate an explanation or correction

thanks

Geoff
geoff

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Geoff,

I'm sure David will respond regarding file location issues. But regarding recent files- the recent files are remembered based on the files you opened. There is no such restriction to only store files within a user's folder. I keep many databases in locations outside the user's folder (mainly as a central location for multiple devices to sync to via Sync exchange), and I want all of them to be part of the recent files list if I open one.

The recent files lists adjusts as you open databases- so the old ones that may have moved will be purged off the bottom of the list eventually.
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows