Removeing recent databases

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Removeing recent databases

Postby geoff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:21 am

When the Windows versions starts up, there is an option to select from recent data bases. How can I remove items from this list - for example if the database has been moved to a new folder, you cannot loading is from the "recent" location.

thanks

Geoff
geoff

Re: Removeing recent databases

Postby dhaupert » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately until you get more than 10 other items in this list, that one won't be erased. So what you could do is open 10 databases and by then the list will be replaced with all new databases that hopefully are there to stay!

The only other way to remove items in this list is to manually edit them in the registry. Not sure if you're up for that sort of thing?
dhaupert

Postby geoff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 pm

OK, it seems to me a obvious function. Please give me the registry details.

Thanks.
geoff

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Since it's an auto updated list, allowing editing seems of limited use- the program will continue to update as you open databases. That's why a build in edit function seems like a somewhat-waste of effort and time.

The historical files are actually stored in an INI file, not the registry (sorry about that mistake). You can find the HD.INI by searching your computer for it. Within there you'll see entries labelled: HISTORY FILE #x

It should be fairly obvious how to eliminate an entry from there- just set the value to a blank value.

Please make sure you do this while the HanDBase Desktop is not running or the changes won't have an effect!
dhaupert

Postby geoff » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Dear David

Inside the HD. INI file (Inside ..\Program Files\HanDBase) I found this:

HISTORY FILE #0=C:\Temp\GSDatabases.PDB
HISTORY FILE #1=C:\Program Files\HanDBase4\GlobalShare\GSDatabases.PDB
HISTORY FILE #2=L:\DDH Programs\Programs\Registered\HanDBase4.0\GlobalShare\GroupDatabases\GSDatabases.PDB
HISTORY FILE #3=
HISTORY FILE #4=
HISTORY FILE #5=
HISTORY FILE #6=
HISTORY FILE #7=
HISTORY FILE #8=
HISTORY FILE #9=

This does not appear to match the list of recent files.

I then found another HD.INI file in ..\\VirtualStore\Program Files\HanDBase which did have the history list (ahah!). After removing the text on each HISTORY FILE #n item: to get this:

HISTORY FILE #0=C:\Users\geoff.cadplan-pc6\Documents\HanDbase\SALdatabase.PDB
HISTORY FILE #1=
HISTORY FILE #2=
HISTORY FILE #3=
HISTORY FILE #4=
HISTORY FILE #5=
HISTORY FILE #6=
HISTORY FILE #7=
HISTORY FILE #8=
HISTORY FILE #9=

I thought I have solved the problem - but NO. When reloading HanDBase, all the same recent files are still there (UGH!).

OK, I must look further. I now find another HD.INI file in ..\geoff\AppData\Roaming\HandBase, and did the same edit. GREAT News it worked! - finally!!!!

Problem solved!

Geoff
geoff

Postby geoff » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Dear David

Wouldn't it be nice (and easier) to have a "Clear History" function

Geoff
geoff

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 am

Hi Geoff,

It is odd that Vista and Windows 7 put these files in all sorts of different places, depending on the user and permission levels. Unfortunately we can't just put that somewhere static as it always has to be in a 'virtual folder' tied to a user name for the new OS security levels.

It would indeed be a nice feature to add a Clear History button somewhere in the preferences. This is something I'd surely consider, however, adding that feature would take away development and testing time from other items that many users have asked for. Sometimes doing something great requires saying no to several things that are 'good' such as this. In order for us to reach the goals set, we have to prioritize these sorts of things based on the frequency of the request for them, as that tells us how many users think it's worth us spending our limited development time on that feature. Hope you can understand what I'm saying there! If there are a bunch of users echoing the need for that feature, I'd definitely bump it up the priority list.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows