sorting multiple fields

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

sorting multiple fields

Postby fritzmom » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi All

I have an iTouch 3G and running WinXP on my desktop.

I have a simple DB where I keep track of our books. Books that we have and that we want.

The DB has fields: Author; Title; Want; Publish Date; etc.

My problem is that when I want to sort by 1)Author 2)Title, the Titles are never completely in alphabetical order, but seem to be separated into 2 different alphabetical orders. The Author field always seems to be correct. This is regardless of whether or not I'm sorting on the iTouch, or the desktop.

I have double and triple checked that the Author name is identical (no space or something making it different) and that in the Title there are no spaces, etc before the name of the title.
e.g.
Author name is Jones
Titles might show up like this:
A for Apple
B for Banana
F for Fruit
Y for Yam
C for Cabbage
P for Potato

What would I being doing incorrectly when setting up the sort?

Any help would be much appreciated by our Wallets, since this has caused us to spend money on something we already have :cry:

Thanks very much
Barb
fritzmom

Re: sorting multiple fields

Postby dhaupert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Barb,

Is it possible that you are seeing mixed upper and lower case in your entries? For example apple, Banana, cabbage, etc?
dhaupert

Re: sorting multiple fields

Postby fritzmom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the suggestions, but that wasn't the problem. Took a loooong time, but I finally figured out what was wrong.

In case others come across the same problem, this is what I was doing wrong:
the Title (secondary) field was correct. The Author (Primary) field was the problem; after the last letter of the author's name, in some instances, there was a space. This space was being considered a 'letter' in the name that was being sorted. I went in and deleted the space, and voila, works like a charm.

Barb
fritzmom

Return to HanDBase for Windows