Installing 4.1.5 disktop

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Installing 4.1.5 disktop

Postby pls » Sat May 29, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm running Windows XP and just downloaded and installed the 4.1.5 update. Of course, I have both an Admin account on Windows and a non-admin working account. No one in their right mind uses Admin for routine work.

HanDBase required me to install from the Admin account. It queued a requiest to install the Palm Treo part, but no sync will ever happen on this account.

I logged into my working account and quickly discovered that while I had the new desktop software, no conduit was installed. So no syncing will happen.

I don't see why an app like this requires Admin to install, but if you're going to require an all users installation, why not install all pieces to each user?

In any case, how do I fix this by getting the conduit instaled and the Palm part installed to the device?

Thanks,
++PLS
pls

Re: Installing 4.1.5 disktop

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 am

Hi there,

Thanks for writing. I'd love to not be able to require Admin usage on Windows XP, but since we communicate with the conduits from Windows Mobile we are required to do so. Unfortunately you must be logged in as an admin user to synchronize at this time. This is not the case with newer versions of Windows, but is the case with XP. My apologies for the inconvenience!
dhaupert

Postby pls » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:09 am

I don't understand. I'm not using Windows Mobile I'm using Palm Treo. So how does Windows Mobile affect me?
pls

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am

Hi,

Before WebOS, Palm made Treo devices running both PalmOS and Windows Mobile OS. I assumed the latter because it is the only one you can still find on the market today and you didn't specify either way. I'm guessing from your response that your Treo is running PalmOS?

In any case, it doesn't really matter as the same applies for PalmOS. We communicate with the Hotsync manager libraries in this case as well.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows