Alternative to Activesync

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Alternative to Activesync

Postby romel24 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Hello:
we have been having issues with ActiveSync 4.5 and our desktop support group is exploring the possibilty of replacing activesync with a different software. We currently have HandBase 4 syncing data with a PDA running on Windows Mobile 6, is activesync a "must" in order for HandBase 4 to work?
romel24

Re: Alternative to Activesync

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I don't think you're the first group of Windows Mobile users wishing they could avoid ActiveSync! That said, for using HanDBase's sync conduit it's a must as we interface to the mobile device via the APIs that are included with it.

If you really wanted to avoid using ActiveSync, you'd have to keep all databases stored on the memory cards and then mount the memory card into the PC via a card slot to copy and merge the databases manually (you can do this via File, Merge Database in the HanDBase Desktop program). Probably not very practical, but at least it's an option.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby romel24 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:09 am

I see Blackberry devices are supported with HandBase, that would avoid the need for ActiveSync, is that correct?
If so would I still be able to sync from the device to desktop and MSAccess database?
also if we use a BB device the sync connection would need to happen via a cable or wireless, not sure how HandBase would know the device is connected if is not using ActiveSync...
romel24

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 am

Honestly that just opens a different can of worms! BlackBerry does not use ActiveSync to sync to the desktop, but their product is called BlackBerry Desktop Manager. In my opinion it's far more cumbersome and troublesome! The main issue is that it's extremely slow. And our implementation of HanDBase will sync with Access and such, but there are huge limitations when using HanDBase itself on the BlackBerry. That version has the least amount of features and functionality in the HanDBase client itself. If you are open to an alternative device OS, I'd consider something like iPhone or Android- in the case of the latter, it's in development right now, but it has the advantage that there is no desktop sync back end, but we can still sync because you can mount the device's memory card as a drive on your system. Once you do, our conduit will be able to run without using something like Activesync. This is all still in development however, and not yet a final product.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby romel24 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 am

thanks for your reply again. the Android option sounds interesting i will have to check back later and check it out. any ideas on what's the timeline for it.. months away, year?
in the meantime i think we'll have to live with activesync issues, we don't really have a clear idea of what's the cause of the errors with it. the only way we get it back to work once we get the errors is to uninstall and reinstall again.
romel24

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Months would be about the closest timeframe I could give right now. I'm hoping it's released before summer is over, but that can change at any moment!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows