Handbase and Windows 7

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Handbase and Windows 7

Postby romel24 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:02 pm

We are currently using Handbase 4 Desktop Professional along with Data Exchange for MS Access. would these two software be compatible with Windows 7?
romel24

Re: Handbase and Windows 7

Postby curtterp » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 am

I run HanDBase Enterprise on Windows 7 64 bit..... it runs for me, although the database I was running in Access is not working any longer..... a problem with updating it to Access 2007, not from HanDbase.

Also I have had a bunch of PocketPC problems, so right now I am waiting for Android HanDBase before I get all my databases back online in my pocket again.

FYI - HanDBase will not work for the new Windows Mobile 7 when it comes out. Microsoft went the Palm route and rewrote Windows Mobile totally.. but did not give a classic interface for backwards compatibility for older programs... They might have shot themselves in the foot there.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Thanks cutterp for chiming in- as you said, HanDBase and Windows 7 are compatible, but HanDBase and Windows Phone 7 will not be at this time.
dhaupert

Postby femaad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:01 am

hi! i am a newbie both w/ iPod Touch and HanDBase. i need help badly,

i have made my own forms for my patients' records which serve my purposes. i have had no problem at all. however, someone wants to get my iPod Touch 3rd gen. i will buy a 4th generation iPod Touch once taken, but this will not be feasible until i transfer all my records - HanDBase with my patients' records is my MOST IMPORTANT APP.

pls advise how i may download a HanDBase for windows 7. will i be able to sync with the desktop HanDBase even if i made my own forms and did not use the default forms on hanDBase? will i be able to save all my data or start again from scratch once i get my new iPod Touch?

pls help!

thank you very much!

have a great day!

felina
femaad

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. You should be able to move your databases from your old device to the new one. How you do that depends on whether you have the HanDBase add-ons that include a conduit, such as HanDBase Plus, HanDBase Professional, etc. Assuming you do and have done a sync to backup everything from your existing device, here's what you'd do:

- Set up your new device within iTunes. Make sure to install HanDBase to it, if it's not installed during the restore process from iTunes. Check and see if your databases are already there. If they are, you're done. If not..
- Run HanDBase and select Desktop Connect mode.
- On the desktop, go to Configure, and then Sync/Configure iPhone and iPad devices.
- Select the old user that you had before and then select Synchronize.
- When prompted enter the Wifi address of the device.
- One of the first things it will do is prompt and ask you if you'd like to restore the old databases to your device. Select Yes and all databases backed up to the desktop will be restored to the device.

If you don't have the conduit, you can still manually install the databases back. here's how:

- Use Desktop Connect from your web browser and save each PDB file one by one before switching to the new device.
- Set up your new device within iTunes. Make sure to install HanDBase to it, if it's not installed during the restore process from iTunes. Check and see if your databases are already there. If they are, you're done. If not..
- Run Desktop Connect from within HanDBase again.
- Use the Install Database option at the bottom to install each database back, one by one. You'll have to browse to the file you saved above and then select Install to get it to install.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby femaad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am

dave, thanks so much for prompt reply.

let me try to load the add-ons since i was not aware i needed them. this way, even if i have to change gadget (again ;) ), restoring will be easier...it is easier than manual restore, isn't it?

will update you once i have new unit.

thank you very much!

felina
femaad

Postby dhaupert » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 am

Hi there,

Yes, with the add-ons it's much easier. The steps above don't reflect that since the steps on the first one is longer than the second. But the second has a 'repeat loop' where you have to do the whole process for each and every database, which gets tedious fast! And I hope you'll appreciate in the long term the advantages of the automated backups/syncs as well.

Good luck!
dhaupert

Postby femaad » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 pm

hi! so sorry i have to bother you again.

i have searched google for hanDBase Plus and HanDBase desktop version, but i just can't seem to find those that fit my "profile" - iPod Touch 3rd gen synching to a Windows 7 desktop

there are only Ipod Touch synching to Mac, or windows desktop synching w/ windows mobile or palm OS gadgets... :cry: i have not been able, thus, to synch and back-up to desktop via any conduit software, etc.

pls. help!

thank you very much!

felina
femaad

Postby curtterp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:04 pm

femaad wrote:hi! so sorry i have to bother you again.

i have searched google for hanDBase Plus and HanDBase desktop version, but i just can't seem to find those that fit my "profile" - iPod Touch 3rd gen synching to a Windows 7 desktop

there are only Ipod Touch synching to Mac, or windows desktop synching w/ windows mobile or palm OS gadgets... :cry: i have not been able, thus, to synch and back-up to desktop via any conduit software, etc.

pls. help!

thank you very much!

felina

Here is the link to the Windows Desktop software for iPod touch
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPh ... addon.html

and it does work with Windows 7.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby femaad » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 am

hi, again!

i was able to successfully install HanDBase Desktop...yahoo!

may i now know what HanDBase Plus is for? pls advise re website to download it from.

thank you very much.

best regards!

felina
femaad

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows