Handbase and Windows 7

Discuss the HanDBase for Windows Desktop program, conduits, and add-ons.

Re: Handbase and Windows 7

Postby sshoredoc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I am using handbase desktop 4.1.5 on an asus netbook with 1gb ram. I have a patient database with 4000+ records. It runs well on my pocket pc but when trying to run it on netbook it freezes and says not responding frequently. Do you think just need more ram or is there a compatibility issue?
sshoredoc

Re: Handbase and Windows 7

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi there,

I doubt it's a compatibility issue- 4000 records will take a few moments to load up, but unless there are relationships it should perform OK on that system. The Desktop is different than the mobile device in that the entire list view is loaded and not just the amount that fits on a screen. This means that effectively the program seems slower on a fast PC than it does on a mobile device when there are a lot of records. The tradeoff is that the desktop needs to read them all in to support the word wrapping in it's cells, something the mobile device does not do. I plan on modifying this to be more like the mobile device- to me it seems that databases need to perform better before looking better! But this is a major change to the code, and something I'll likely save for v5.0 of the program!

Let me know about the nature of relationships in your database...
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Windows