iPad to Mac sync taking long

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

iPad to Mac sync taking long

Postby szman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I've been using the ipad version of Handbase for a week or so. Tonight I decided to download the trial version of MAC desktop software and sync ipad to MAC. It has been running for over an hour with no indication of progress. Is this to be expected. I have only one database with 200 records. There are about 100 photos associated with the database and perhaps they are syncing as well. Any guidance is appreciated.
szman

Re: iPad to Mac sync taking long

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Hello,

Thanks for writing. We appreciate you reporting this issue. We are aware of it and are working on a fix to the problem. When iOS 5 was launched, the initial connection we made via the desktop and handheld did not work so we updated with a solution to that problem. If using small databases, the sync works properly.
However, we have found another incompatibility that our developer, Dave, writes about here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1881

Essentially what is happening is we are using a portion of the iOS API that Apple has apparently changed with the introduction of iOS 5. This means we are going to have to do some rewriting and testing to implement a new solution.

We apologize sincerely for this problem and plan to have a solution in place as soon as possible.

Unfortunately we don't have a time frame for this as there are a few variables, but we assure you this is priority one for us!

In the meantime, I recommend manually transferring your databases between the handheld and desktop.

There are a couple of ways you can do this:

1. The first is to use the file sharing feature built into iTunes.
2. The second is to email the databases between the handheld and the computer. To send a database from the handheld, go to the database selection screen, tap Manage, tap on the database name and choose the email option. The database will be attached to an outgoing email. To send a database to the handheld, attach the .pdb file to an outgoing email. Upon opening the email on the device, tap on the attachment as though you were going to open it. If the file is new to the device, it will be copied to HanDBase's sandbox directory for use. If the file already exists, new records in the incoming database will be appended to the existing copy.

Additionally, we have found that calculated fields are causing a problem. Databases using calculated fields may crash upon opening. You can disable the calculated fields on the desktop and reinstall the file if access to the database is needed until the fix is in place. Rest assured we are investigating this problem as well.

If you have a copy of a database on the handheld that does not use a calculated field but still crashes upon opening, here's what I'd like you to try:

1. Make sure you have a working copy on the desktop.
2. Delete the copy from the iOS device (Manage -> Tap on DB Name -> Delete)
3. Email the working copy of the database from your computer to the iOS.
4. Open the email on the iOS and tap on the attachment.

The database will be copied to HanDBase's internal directory for use. As long as it doesn't use calculated fields it should work properly. Please let me know the results.

Should you need/want to revert back to a previous version of HanDBase for your device, you can refer to the steps in this article:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/28/ipad-101 ... plication/

Prior to doing so, please be certain that you have a backup because in all likelihood going through the process will delete the databases installed on the phone.

Again, we apologize sincerely for this problem. Please know that we are working on a solution as hard as we can and will have it ready just as soon as humanly possible.

Kind regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

szman

Postby szman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I will make sure I save a backup because I've spent hours finalizing the schema and loading records that include photos. Do photos get backed up and made available on MAC desktop as well?

ALso, is there any way to enable enlarging (or pinching) of photos in database?
szman

Re: iPad to Mac sync taking long

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Hello,

Thanks for following up. Photos are transferred to the desktop when syncing with the Plus addon. They are normally stored at ..\Documents\HanDBase\ You'll see a folder named after your partnership. A folder containing the photos will be inside.

If you have added the photos since the sync problem occurred, they probably aren't backed up. You would be able to transfer them using the iTunes' file exchange feature as a means of getting them backed up until we have the sync working properly again.

At present images can only be made larger when viewing via a custom form.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Mac