Version

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Version

Postby nigelp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 am

Hi

I have Handbase desktop 4 for Mac syncing with my iphone. I have an android device and just bought android handbase for my HTC phone.
The android device does not show up in 'devices' when its plugged in via USB on the Mac. Do i need something else to get this working/syncing?

Cheers Nigel
nigelp

Re: Version

Postby nigelp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 am

Hi

So i have done some digging and found the android sync client and have both versions on my mac. I can now sync the android device. How do I re-point the iphone database files and the android database files to a common shared folder so both stay in sync? Can this be a dropbox folder?

If I install the mac/android version can i safely over write the mac/iphone version and keep the settings for the iphone sync?

Thanks Nigel
nigelp

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your post and update! A database can be synced/shared between the two devices, but it's set up on a file by file basis, not a folder by folder. To set this up:

Copy a database you want to share to a central location, eg Users\Username\Documents\MyDatabase.PDB
Go to the sync configuration for the iPhone user and add a new shared database (there is a plus button at the bottom). Select the file you shared in the central location.
Repeat this for the Android sync configuration. They are now set up to both sync to the same file and thus the changes should share from one device to the other!
dhaupert

Postby nigelp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi

Thanks Dave. I will try that. I also assume that if I send the updated file from the android device to iphone it will update the iphone version too?

Nigel
nigelp

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Indeed, you can email the database to each device as a way to sync directly- when the one side opens the attachment to HanDBase, HanDBase automatically merges the database with the one it already has so the changes are all applied, new records added, deleted records deleted, etc.!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Mac