Relationship field lookups on Mac Version

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Relationship field lookups on Mac Version

Postby magicboots » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi,

I've recently bought the iTouch version and just trialling the desktop+ version it on my MAC. Everything seems to work perfectly except the relationship fields. I set up a DB that does a lookup into another. On iTouch it works great, but on desktop+ the views do not show the data from the other table, nor does it let you navigate into that database directly.

Is this intentional or am I missing something.

If this is not supported, is it in the pipeline, or is it in the PC version ?

Apologies if asked before, but I could not see it.
magicboots

Re: Relationship field lookups on Mac Version

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. The Mac version doesn't yet have relational capabilities. This includes Link, Linked, Relationship, and DB Popup field support. They are ignored gracefully.

The plan was to implement this feature in 2012. However, before getting into the actual development, about mid-year I learned of a new compiler/developer environment that would make it possible to target both Windows and Mac together. It will take some work, but I'm hoping in 2013 I will be able to bring most or all of the features in the Windows version to the Mac! I invested in the compiler in September and did some testing to see if it would really do the job and it seems so. Now the challenge is in getting the actual work scheduled in with all the plans I have for the iPhone, iPad and Android versions as well!

All this said, when you purchase the Mac version of the product, you should also have access to a special Windows version that runs on the Mac. In this version you will be able to access your relationships and such! It's available under the Downloads section- let me know if you don't see it!
dhaupert

Postby magicboots » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:03 pm

hi, thanks for the detailed and quick response.

At this moment I've only downloaded the demo version so I guess I won't see the Windows special mode version. If I do opt for the MAC version, do I need any special software to run this special windows version on my MAC ? I.e., an emulator or the like ?
magicboots

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the followup! The package we provide is actually a bundle which has the windows executable and an interpreter that is based on WINE (a windows emulator- NOT a virtualized windows which takes up a lot of horsepower and space, not to mention a need for a copy of Windows!). So you shouldn't need anything else.

Regarding the fact that you're demoing, please be assured that if you purchase the product and the product is not to your liking you can email sales@ddhsoftware.com within 30 days to request a full refund. There really isn't much risk involved in making the purchase as long as you trust our company to make the purchase in the first place!
dhaupert

Postby magicboots » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

So I took the plunge and purchased the MAC version but not got too far.

I installed the MAC version - entered the reg code, synced the DB with my iTouch - all seemed fine. Tried the desktop for Windows version and again registered it. When I click on the menu option for iPhone/Touch users to get my DB's I get an error box stating, "Unable to launch HanDBase and User Settings. Perhaps HanDBase for iPhone is not installed".

The version on my iTouch is also registered as it was purchased through the app store.
magicboots

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your followup. I'm sorry I didn't mention that the desktop included is the desktop only. You still sync through the Mac conduit and desktop version but then can open the databases via the windows HanDBase desktop's File Open command. If you'd like you can create a custom user that points to the path where the Mac conduit is storing the files. Or you can just browse to the location via the Browse button.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby magicboots » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Yep - Sorted.
magicboots

Return to HanDBase for Mac