Is it possible to use HandBase forms on WINE?

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Is it possible to use HandBase forms on WINE?

Postby James Richards » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm

I guess the title just about sums up my question. I have tried setting up forms on the iPhone to use on the Windows/WINE version, but the form comes up too large to fit in the window and it is not scrollable AFAICT. I tried changing the scaling factor from 4 to 1, but it makes no difference to the form that pops up on WINE when I try to edit or create a new form. So it seems the only solution is to have some control over the form on WINE. (In the meantime I need to be careful not to set forms to open on the desktop otherwise it becomes effectively unusable.

Thanks

James
James Richards

Re: Is it possible to use HandBase forms on WINE?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for your question. The forms you design on the iPhone version should indeed be optimizable for running in Wine. There are a few things you need to do to optimize for them:

The form properties has sections in it and one of those sections is iPad and Desktop screens. That's the one that the Wine enabled desktop will use to look for a size. The scale factor would need to be set for that part and a scale factor of 1 or even less than one (eg, 0.5) can be done to shrink the form size down. In addition, often times users will set up the scale factor for a form but they don't have that form enabled as the start form for new or existing records. So make sure to check the section for Start form for New record and/or Start form for Edit Record for the particular form you're playing with.

Let me know if you're still having issues!
dhaupert

Postby James Richards » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks, Dave, that's helpful. I've only go tone form ATM to play about with and its enabled for start with new and start with edit. I'll play about with scales next time I use it.

The other half of my question was less clear than it could have been. Is it possible to download/use the HandBase Forms for Windows module and use it with Wine? When using the Wine/Windows version of HandBase, clicking the Forms icon in the DB Properties pane brings up the dialog that Forms needs to be installed - and I just wondered if that was possible.

All good wishes

James
James Richards

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for following up. Sorry I didn't respond to the second half of your question previously! I do believe the forms designer works with Wine but when I built up the package I used the standard version, not the professional version that ships with forms. On the desktop the Professional version is the one that ships with the forms designer. And because we don't sell a pro version for Mac it didn't seem to make sense to have a windows alternative to a non-existent product.

Hope that makes sense- short answer, it would probably work, but since forms is not included in any Mac version there is no Wine built equivalent to offer at this time.
dhaupert

Postby James Richards » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 am

Thanks Dave. That clears the picture up for me.
James Richards

Return to HanDBase for Mac