Major (to me!) sync problem

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby jwgeorgen » Thu May 21, 2015 12:29 am

HanDBase user since the Palm Pilot, very few problems until today when the following message appeared:

"Synchronizing with User: iPhone

Could not get Upload Database to iPhone. Either the iPhone is not running desktop connect, it's not running on the same wifi network as this computer, or the iPhone's address was not valid"

Have made several attempts to correct, none successful: changed DHCP to static address. Changed networks. Re-installed HandBase Desktop 4. After that, the aforeto mentioned message disappeared but still no records in my various desktop databases.

Help?

Thanks.

Jan Georgen
jwgeorgen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat May 23, 2015 8:19 am

Hello Jan,

Thanks for writing.

Sorry to read of the trouble you experience.

Try the following:

- enable Airplane Mode on your iOS device
- unplug power to your wireless router
- wait one minute
- plug power in to your wireless router
- wait til normal network operation resumes
- enable WiFi on the iOS device

Attempt to sync.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby Kenichi » Sat May 23, 2015 11:32 pm

This is not working for me either. I am using ATT WiFi, and this worked on iPhone5S a few months ago.
Kenichi
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Re: Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby jwgeorgen » Tue May 26, 2015 12:08 am

Good evening.

Thanks for your response!

I had eliminated the source of my problem as being the router because I was attempting to sync from 2 different locations, my office then my home. Same results. Your other suggestions did not change anything, either, wahhhhhh....

So. I upgraded my VMWare Fusion application, reinstalled Windows 7, reinstalled HanDBase/windows, then overwrote my desktop with my iPhone files, then reversed the sync: desktop overwrote iPhone. One of the files was outdated, so I installed it from my desktop's iPad folder. All was good, I lost only the data I input today.

However, when I changed over to my Mac side and tried to sync, I lost numerous databases and added a group of ?? files (1), (2), etc to (6) that contained no data. Incidentally, I had earlier trashed my Mac version of the HanDBase Desktop then reinstalled, then deleted the iPhone app and reinstalled it, still no success. Then somehow I was able to get my files back to my iPhone (copying from my iPad folder?) to proceed.

Finally back to the Windows side to get my databases back. At this point, I will continue to sync solely via the Windows HanDBase application. I have no idea what could be going on with the Mac side and do not know if you have any ideas, either. I certainly prefer working via my Mac OS, but I certainly prefer the results via the Windows OS.

Thanks.

Jan Georgen
jwgeorgen
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 am

Kenichi wrote:This is not working for me either. I am using ATT WiFi, and this worked on iPhone5S a few months ago.


Please provide additional details, including steps you are taking and errors you are receiving, so we can help troubleshoot the problem.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Major (to me!) sync problem

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 am

jwgeorgen wrote:Good evening.

Thanks for your response!

I had eliminated the source of my problem as being the router because I was attempting to sync from 2 different locations, my office then my home. Same results. Your other suggestions did not change anything, either, wahhhhhh....

So. I upgraded my VMWare Fusion application, reinstalled Windows 7, reinstalled HanDBase/windows, then overwrote my desktop with my iPhone files, then reversed the sync: desktop overwrote iPhone. One of the files was outdated, so I installed it from my desktop's iPad folder. All was good, I lost only the data I input today.

However, when I changed over to my Mac side and tried to sync, I lost numerous databases and added a group of ?? files (1), (2), etc to (6) that contained no data. Incidentally, I had earlier trashed my Mac version of the HanDBase Desktop then reinstalled, then deleted the iPhone app and reinstalled it, still no success. Then somehow I was able to get my files back to my iPhone (copying from my iPad folder?) to proceed.

Finally back to the Windows side to get my databases back. At this point, I will continue to sync solely via the Windows HanDBase application. I have no idea what could be going on with the Mac side and do not know if you have any ideas, either. I certainly prefer working via my Mac OS, but I certainly prefer the results via the Windows OS.

Thanks.

Jan Georgen


Thanks for the update.

On the Mac side, try:

1. open HanDBase Desktop
2. select the menu option Devices / iPhone Users
3. when the sync dialog opens click on the partnership and then the - button to delete it
4. close the sync dialog
5. close HanDBase Desktop
6. browse to /Documents/HanDBase/
7. move, not copy, the entire HanDBase folder to the computer's desktop
8. open the library folder for your account
9. find two .plist files that refer to HanDBase and/or DDH Software
10. move them to your computer's desktop

After doing this, try setting up a brand new sync partnership between HanDBase on your handheld and HanDBase on your Mac.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am


Return to HanDBase for Mac

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest