Sync and encrypted fields problem

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Sync and encrypted fields problem

Postby Bryanlawson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:03 pm

I created a simple file like your password file on iPad and encrypted the password field. I then synced this to the desktop. Then I synced it to my iPhone. All this worked fine. But on the iPhone I enter the encryption password which is rejected so I cannot see the passwords on my iPhone version. There seems no way to enter a password on the desktop version. Am I missing something.?
Bryanlawson

Re: Sync and encrypted fields problem

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:48 am

Hi,

HanDBase Desktop for Mac does not support encryption of fields at this time. This is the reason you are not able to access this feature on that operating system.

It is possible to download and install a custom version of HanDBase Desktop for Windows on your Mac, which will allow you to work with your databases containing encryption. To do this, you would need to first install X11, which is available at https://www.xquartz.org/

You would then want to download the custom Windows version from your account with us.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Bryanlawson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am

Oh dear! A pity this isn't made clear. Probably wouldn't have bought any of this if it was publicised correctly. The windows version on mac is a completely different proposition and not convenient at all requiring a separate disc image.
Bryanlawson

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:19 am

Bryanlawson wrote:Oh dear! A pity this isn't made clear. Probably wouldn't have bought any of this if it was publicised correctly. The windows version on mac is a completely different proposition and not convenient at all requiring a separate disc image.

Hi Bryan,

Very sorry you feel it isn't publicized correctly. It's listed right on the product page:

http://ddhsoftware.com/handbase_mac.html

where it says:
HanDBase for Mac is a work in progress. Future features may include:
Edit Views and Filters
Encryption support
Printing
DB Properties (database format editing and creation)
And more...

The HanDBase for Windows version does not require a separate disk image to run on the Mac - it doesn't require Parallels or VMWare Fusion or anything like that- it runs using WINE and is a self-contained executable file you can run directly as needed. It's included with your purchase as a consolation for the feature disparity between versions.

All that said, if you're within your 30 days of purchase you can email sales@ddhsoftware.com and request a refund on your Mac desktop if you like- we're really not trying to force you into keeping something you are unhappy with!
dhaupert

Postby Bryanlawson » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks. I'll give this a look.
Bryanlawson

Return to HanDBase for Mac