Old user returning

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Old user returning

Postby dennisriv » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I used the Palm and Windows handheld versions back in the late 90's and into the early 2000's for maintaining a surgical database of my patients. Is it possible to use them with the current versions?
dennisriv

Re: Old user returning

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 am

Hi there,

I'm so sorry- I don't know how I missed your message when you originally posted it! I hope its not too late to respond to you now. HanDBase database formats have not changed much if at all in the last decade so there is a good chance your old databases will just work with the new versions of HanDBase. There was a format change when we went from version 2 to version 3 and that was a pretty major update to the format. That happened around 2001-2002 so depending on when you last used it, you may find that you'll need to update the format. The Windows desktop should support that migration still and would update automatically when you opened this in the latest windows desktop.

The Mac version, however, is a lot more limited than the other versions of HanDBase. I started developing it into a full fledged version of HanDBase years back but never quite got it to be fully functional. It doesn't support encryption or relational features, nor does it contain the ability to edit the database properties.
For that reason when you purchase the Mac version, I also include a copy of HanDBase for Windows running under WINE emulation- that is, you can run this on your Mac- it's clumsy as it doesn't look like a native Mac app, but it does give you all of the features and functionality.

I still hope to finish out the Mac version and make it a full fledged version. I'm honestly waiting for the spring WWDC developer conference. The rumor is that Apple is going to offer some support for sharing code between iOS and Mac and if this is true it may be possible to bring over the additional functionality from HanDBase for iPhone without having to write all that code over again. Let's hope so!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Return to HanDBase for Mac