Mac Desktop - Version?

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Mac Desktop - Version?

Postby NeelsK » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi,

Just bought the iPhone app and the Mac for iPhone add-on. I see there is a Mac versions for Palm OS. My question is: Will that version let me create proper databases (not just import csv) where I can set field types, views etc etc?

Thanks,
Neels
NeelsK

Re: Mac Desktop - Version?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Neels,

Thanks for your email. The Palm version of the mac side includes the same desktop application (minus the conduit). There are a number of posts on here that discuss the development schedule of the Mac version. In short, we're trying to catch up to the PC version by adding Edit Record screen functionality, filters, printing, encryption and DB Properties. A series of updates are planned beginning this quarter. At this point I'd hope to see the Edit Record screen and possibly encryption implemented before December. I would say DB Properties (and hence database design) would come in early 2010.

We'll certainly see more postings on this topic as these releases are available!

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby prm » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I, too, am looking forward to the fully functional Mac desktop version. Also hoping for some way to implement forms on the iPhone. Handbase has great potential on the iPhone.
prm

Postby Jofe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:04 am

Hi,

Whats up now with the Mac Desktop Version. It's march 2010 rightnow and no usable desktop version is to see. I'm sitting on my data in my iPhone and there's no chance to do anything with it. :( Is there any new version for mac anounced?

thx Jofe
Jofe

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for your patience. While there has not been an update in some time, I have updated customers in the newsletter just a month ago on the status as well as updates here since the last post on this thread. The short of those updates is that the iPhone update delays over the summer pushed us back about 3 months with everything that follows. The Mac Desktop update that was due before the end of the year was pushed back as well as extra time was spent on the iPhone version.

That said, you have excellent timing in asking as we're just days away from the release of a new beta! As mentioned here and in newsletters, the desktop is being beefed up in stages, the first of which is adding a proper edit record screen with support for the various field types. The next stage is adding filters and views settings, then encryption. The final stage is the DB Properties.

I know a lot of customers want to be able to design their databases on the Mac, and while it would be nice to complete that feature first, I know from experience the most efficient way to develop the functionality into a program based on what features are needed for the next feature to be complete. And so that is the 'recipe' I follow as I add functionality to a program.

Stay tuned for a pending announcement on this!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Mac