Can't Import to New Database on desktop

Discuss HanDBase running on Mac OSX computers, as well as conduits.

Can't Import to New Database on desktop

Postby dm4107 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am

I have just purchased the HanDBase Plus for iPhone.
When I try to create a csv file into a new database the first window comes up (chose file, name), but not the second to save the new file on a specific location. Is this a bug?

Thank you for the help.

Mac OS: X.6.4
dm4107

Re: Can't Import to New Database on desktop

Postby dhaupert » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi there,

Just verified with the current release version that it does indeed bring up the file save dialog as long as you select import into a new file and not the existing database. If you're hitting that import button and not seeing anything else come up, perhaps you can try running the console to see if some error message pops up:

Under Applications, Utilities, Console.

Go to System.log and then clear the log/screen using the button at the top.
Try the import again and see if you see any messages or errors in the console.

Feel free to copy and paste them to me!
dhaupert

Postby dm4107 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

This is what Console says:
07/08/10 00:10:28 HanDBase Desktop 4[14406] Something Became Key
07/08/10 00:10:28 HanDBase Desktop 4[14406] Window Became Key
07/08/10 00:10:28 HanDBase Desktop 4[14406] Something Became Key
07/08/10 00:10:28 HanDBase Desktop 4[14406] Window Became Key

I have tried today with "HanDBase Desktop Windows" which works with X11 and it succeeds. Why doesn't the Mac version works?
An other thing: the french/german accents are never well interpretated (heading and body). I always have to fix them manually. Is this normal?

Thanks for help
dm4107

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 am

I'm honestly not sure- there are no error messages listed there so it's not like it's a system error. It seems to be passing this only on your computer and no one else's! Can you supply me the exact menu options you're selecting from the pull down menu so I can be sure we're doing the exact same steps?

Lastly regarding the umlauts and such, it's dependent on the encoding of the text file that you're importing. It may be that the program that created the csv file is using UTF8 or some other type of encoding and at this point we only work with a certain type. If you'd like to email me a sample CSV file I can take a look and see for sure. My email is listed below..
dhaupert

Postby dm4107 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:16 pm

About the umlauts you are right. I don't understund why Bento (an Apple product) export cvs windows-files!

About to create a csv file into a new database: I don't know what to say.
1. Today it worked with Handbase Desktop 4 for mac. Perhaps I didn't write .PDB when I named the file the first days. The problem is that the same Handbase Desktop 4 doesn't recognize the file which it has right created: "The selected file is not a HanDBase database file." But "HanDBase Desktop Windows" which works with X11 opens it whitout any problem (strange thing here: the umlauts are wrong in the heading but right in the rows. Why?) The wine-version of Handbase desktop works vey well but with the true mac-version there is something strange.

Conlusion: Thank you for your help. I think I will be able to work around the problems now (using the wine-version). I hope in the future you will come with a better mac-version. Ones the pdb-file is finallly on my iPod, Handbase is great!
dm4107

Return to HanDBase for Mac