exporting files with pictures

This forum is for application developers who are integrating HanDBase into their solutions via the HanDBase API (HAPI) or other means. It's also a great place to discuss runtime development.

exporting files with pictures

Postby mussaurus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 am

Hi
I want to create a database on my ipad that will contain some photos and then I need to export it to my desktop. I can export to a PC or a Mac. I need to know which will be easier and do I need dedicated software on the desktop? Can I export to excel in any way that keeps the pictures?
Thanks
Shelley
mussaurus

Re: exporting files with pictures

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:35 pm

HanDBase on the iPad keeps images separate from the database. The database would store a reference to the file name of the image. The image file itself is something that can either be backed up by our conduit, or copied via the Desktop Connect feature (this is where you access your HanDBase files via wifi from your desktop/laptop). From there you can download a .zip of all the image files.

The conduit does this automatically and places all the images in a folder like this:
My Documents\HanDBase\Images

If you exported the database from HanDBase to CSV or directly to Excel you'd have the file name in the column for the photo name. However, this would not contain the path to the file and that is dependent on where you put them on your computer.

In excel there isn't a built in way to show an image based on a file name but there are macros people have written to do this. Here is one such example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1377 ... hem-in-cel

You'd have to prepend the path where you put the files though another cell or put it in the macro itself. Then run the macro and you'd have all the images imported into your spreadsheet.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase - Developers