Latest Android version

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Latest Android version

Postby pls » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for putting this up. I was wondering if HanDBase was still under development.

A couple of points:

1. The edit filter page displays the filters in dark gray on slightly darker gray. On my Nexus 6P this is completely unreadable. I can sort of tell there ia a patter in the gray, but can't actually read anything.

2. The panel for filter expression only offers between a and b, or not. I'm a software developer and I still find this confusing:
a. Does between 1 and 5 mean
- 1,2,3,4,5?
- 1,2,3,4?
- 2,3,4?
- something else I didn't think of?
Adding a bit of explanatory text would be a big help.
b. What are the appropriate filter expressions for
- an integer field is not zero, and
- a date field is not "No Date"?

I still love the product and I hope you keep it moving forward.

Thanks
pls

Re: Latest Android version

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for your post.

Great observation on the filters screen color problem - weird because I didn't modify that, so it means it's likely been in place for a long time! Will fix for the next update.

re: the filter editor, I agree there is a lot of room for improvement. It's one of those cases where the feature is completely working but could use some user friendliness. Since there are missing features that customers ask for (eg, external field type support), it probably won't be tackled until after those needs are met.

I think being a developer in your case makes you wonder if between 1...5 includes one or 5 but the average person would assume it does. In any case it does include the items you specify, so between 1 and 5 includes 1,2,3,4,5

To answer your last questions:

Integer Not zero- set between 0 and 0 and then choose Is Not.
Date other than No Date - Choose custom date range, set Between No Date and No Date and then choose Is Not
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks.
pls

Postby draak » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:41 am

Maybe changing the text from "between 1 and 5" to "from 1 to 5" might make it clearer? Just a suggestion.
draak

Return to HanDBase for Android