Can't get databases from old fone to new fone

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Can't get databases from old fone to new fone

Postby draak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello,

I have HDB on my old fone {user name = xxxS5} and want to copy all the data bases to the new fone {new username = xxxA5}. Eventually I'll delete HDB from the old fone, after I'm sure everything's been copied.
All the data bases are on the desktop and in the old fone.

After I set up the new user, confirm synching via wifi &c., I eventually get an http://blablabla address aka Wifi IP Address, that I have to copy from the device to the field on the desktop synch form. The I click on "next". Then I get a MSG, after a pause: "Could not get Device name from device. Either the device is not running desktop connect, it's not running on the same wifi network as this computer, or the device's address was not valid"

It *is* running desktop connect, because otherwise I couldn't have gotten the Wifi IP Address from the device. I checked to see that both device & pc are on the same wifi network.

Must I concluse that the device's address is not valid?
If so, how do I fix this? If not, what has gone wrong?

I hope somebody can explain this clearly - it should be simple, but I can't figure out what's going wrong.

Thanx,
Dale
draak

Re: Can't get databases from old fone to new fone

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for writing. The most common cause that it can't communicate is that the desktop and the device are not on the same router. Each router (in most cases) creates a sub network of addresses to differentiate between devices connected to it. When you connect your desktop to the internet and your phone to the internet, they both must be connecting to the same router for HanDBase on both platforms to see each other.

For starters lets check and see if you can connect via a web browser. (This will eliminate the desktop conduit being a problem):

Open your web browser and try to connect to the address given by Desktop Connect on your phone. If you get a web page showing HanDBase and all of your databases, then the problem is related to the conduit. If you can't, the conduit is not to blame!

If you can't see the databases generated home page in the above:

1. Take a look at the address given by HanDBase on your phone, it will look something like this 192.168.0.1 (four numbers separated by periods).
2. Now on your desktop go to: http://www.whatismyip.com. This page will show you your outgoing internet IP address, but that's not what we're after. We're after the local IP. This is the address your desktop computer is using on its connection. The line is shown on the above page and says something to the effect of:
Your Local IP is: 192.168.1.114.
3. Now lets compare the address between the two- the first three numbers have to match up for the devices to connect. In this example, they don't- the local IP of my desktop is 192.168.1... and the phone address was 192.168.0... That difference means they are connected to different routers.

One thing to note- If they are the same, it doesn't mean that they are actually on the same router- each router uses it's own numbering but there are only a few number patterns available to local networks (eg, 192.168.0, 192.168.1, etc). So they may be using the same numbering scheme but still be different subnetworks.

What to do if these are different: Reconnect one of your devices to the wifi router that the other is using.

If none of the above helps, the other possibility is a security setting in your router. Some routers have a setting to disallow devices connected to them from communicating with each other. If that's the case, they can never see one another as this capability is blocked. If that applies here, you should be able to go to the router's settings and disable that feature- unfortunately its named all sorts of ways and I can't really provide you any guidance on what to look for specifically.

If none of the above help, the only other suggestion is to try to bring your computer (hope its a laptop!) and phone to another wifi enabled location and try to connect there. Alternatively you can use email to manually transfer databases back and forth between devices.

I hope this information helps!
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby draak » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Dave, thanx for your assistance!

First I looked at "my" HDB page on the web, by typing the digits from Desktop Connect into the address field of my browser. Behold! I could see DBs that I had altered, on my fone, only a few minutes before, as well as all the others {at least I assume they're all there, without checking Every Single One}.

The I went to http://www.whatismyip.com . There I found "Your Public IPv4 is: xx.yy.zzz.aa". Is this what you meant? {You wrote "Local IP", but that might be the same, for all I know.}
But the important thing is the numbers, the digits, I assume. They were completely different from what Desktop Connect gives: 192.168.d.ee. So the grouping of digits is also different. And the 1st three numbers don't match at all.

Were you just guessing when you wrote "192.168."? Because that's what Desktop Connect gives. But "whatismyip" gives groups of 2,2,3,2 digits; so maybe I haven't found what I should have found :-(
Anyway, I tried a different site, https://my-ip-is.com/ , and got the same numbers that I found at "whatismyip".

So I'm afraid I'm still bewildered about what's gone wrong. The IP numbers aren't remotely like what I expected.

You also wrote: "What to do if these are different: Reconnect one of your devices to the wifi router that the other is using." But I have no idea about how to approach that job, if indeed it might be necessary in order to solve the mess-up.
And so fasr as I can tell, both the PC & the Android are connected to the same router [which they called a hub, when they came to install it - I assume that both names refer to the same thing]. Both indicate VM[plus the same 7 digits].

Have you got any more clues about how to get this set up?

Many thanx, as always,
Dale
draak

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 am

Hi Dale,

Thanks for responding and trying all of the steps. I wanted to clarify one thing regarding the local IP and Public IP. The first site you mentioned (whatismyip.com) shows both public IP and local IP. The public IP is the one in bold, but it's not the one that is relevant for this issue- it's the local IP which is listed in smaller text below. That said, it doesn't matter as you discovered an alternate site which verified the local IP correctly AND the fact that your web browser could connect and show the databases just fine means you're already on the same router/hub/wifi connection!

So it seems like they are indeed connecting on the same wifi hotspot and the hotspot itself is allowing the phone to be connected to. But the HanDBase conduit is not being permitted to connect, only your web browser. To me this sounds like a firewall issue. If you're using Windows on your computer, there is a built-in firewall called 'Windows Firewall'. This site will show you how to get to it:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... -settings/

In particular, we are wanting to see if HanDBase Conduit is being allowed to access the network. Please read the section "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and make sure any of the products named HanDBase have access to the both public and private networks. Once you find them there, if there are any boxes unchecked, check them and then restart the HanDBase Desktop and then the conduit. Does it work now? Here's hoping... ;)
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Postby draak » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 am

Thanx 1,000,000, Dave,

I finally got it to work. I had to visit another page as well, https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... ws-7-8-10/

And then I had to hunt for the path to HDB in order to add it to the list of "approved" apps aka programs.

But then I reopened the HDB desktop & the Android and then synch'd as usual; as I said, it worked, as if nothing had ever been out of kilter. WHEW!

I think the trouble started, tho I didn't realize it then, when a new modem was installed last December. But of course the guy who installed it had no idee that I had such a bizarre app as HDB
<lol>
so he didn't warn me about anything.

Anyhow, we're back on track.

Long Live HanDBase!

Best regards,
Dale
draak

Return to HanDBase for Android