Change colors/fonts in Handbase Android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Change colors/fonts in Handbase Android

Postby dsaroff » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi,

I'm starting to use Handbase Android, and so far so good. One problem is I find the font contrast (light grey) against a black background very difficult to read. I also find the font very small. Is there any way to change this? I've looked but can't find one.

Thanks.
dsaroff

Re: Change colors/fonts in Handbase Android

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:59 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure about this, but I believe there are ways to 'theme' your device and get a different set of colors and/or fonts. I have not tried this personally but I do know I just use all the default/system colors and fonts so hoping there is a system-wide way to change this.

Longer term I do plan on adding a font size selector in a preferences screen I'm working on, along with other things. I'd prefer to leave the colors up to the device though, assuming we can figure out how to change these settings. Any Android gurus out there familiar with this? Brian? Curt?
dhaupert

Postby dsaroff » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 am

Hmmm...I don't think it is an issue with the default theme for my Android phone as your program is the only program where I have an issue with the color of the font versus the background and the font size. Also, the screen caps on your web site show the same issues. I also don't have this problem with any other program on my phone, and I notice in the feature request list survey on your discussion board that this same issue is being raised by many other people. At a minimum what would help would be changing the default schema to black text on white background (for the highest level of contrast). Most Android programs I use do provide the ability to change background and foreground colors and font sizes. Anything you can do to help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
dsaroff

Postby curtterp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 am

I run my Droid X stock.. no launchers, not rooted etc.

The display settings are very minimal on the Motorola. The brightness and walloper settings are the only settings I can change, no color, no font etc. I do have my brightness set for full, and not automatic. The 4.3" screen also helps.

I did a quick search to see if there is a way to change fonts easily. The answer is 'not really'. I found a way to change fonts by rooting, by using the Android SDK, and a consensus to change fonts by putting the phone in 'recovery terminal'. I have not researched these yet, so I am not sure if there is a somewhat easy way for a user to change the system font.

It did look like a programmer could setup a program to use different fonts within the program. Again, I did not research this out from my quick search this morning, or look at the SDK to see if changing fonts would be easy programmically.

What device do you have and what size screen does it have?

I can check into this a little more when I have some more time...... its time for me to head out for work.

have a good day everyone.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks for checking Curt, I know Brian found the same thing as you- rooting is the only way. I will definitely have to build some color pickers into the upcoming preferences screen- sorry I was wrong in this case as it seemed to be like a no brainer to have something like a global color theme on Android!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

curtterp wrote:Possible link of interest

http://developer.android.com/reference/ ... /Font.html

Thanks Curt, but Renderscript is only in Android 3.0 I believe and that's more for rendering in a graphical context anyway. I shouldn't have any problems setting the font and colors in the program now that I know it's not a global setting. Thanks anyway!
dhaupert

Postby wauckl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 am

Besides the tiny font, the gray highlighting of the active record in list view nearly obliterates the white-font text in the record's fields, particularly in less than optimum lighting conditions, as, for example, in a grocery store. I have resorted to creating a permanent blank record that always appears at the top of my grocery list so that when necessary, I can make that active so I can read all the other records. (Miss the dazzlingly clear under any conditions display of my Treo.) I see that the NoteEverything app seems to leave the last record edited visible without highlighting it. Is the gray highlighting necessary?
wauckl

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:29 am

It was done purposefully as in many databases it's useful to know which is the record you last highlighted. In actuality in Android most lists views don't show the selection so this was tricky to do. I will look at providing an option to select the highlighted record color when I do the other colors shortly..
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Over two years ago Dave replied in this thread:
I shouldn't have any problems setting the font and colors in the program now that I know it's not a global setting.
and
I will look at providing an option to select the highlighted record color when I do the other colors shortly..
Is there any update to this? I see no options in Preferences on my SG4, and I am running HanDBase for Android Version 4.6.04, which I believe is the current version?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android