Android Market - lagging

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Android Market - lagging

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 am

In several topics on this forum we have talked about how weird it is that iOS HanDBase outsells Android by a huge margin. And we've wondered and pondered over whether it's the price point, the type of users themselves, the app features, etc.

I saw this article today and thought of you guys:
http://gigaom.com/2011/05/27/android-st ... +Mobile%29

The article matches the experience seen with HanDBase, and actually if anything we're quite successful compared to other developers of paid apps! But it does demonstrate that the Android market is not yet the environment for developers to make a good living with very few exceptions.

Hope this provides some food for thought!
dhaupert

Re: Android Market - lagging

Postby Dr. Richard Williams » Fri May 27, 2011 10:50 am

I have paid for about 10 apps on the Android, buying handbase twice. To me, one of the biggest downers this year is that google changed their 24-hour cancel/return policy to 15 minutes, which basically means you buy it and then try it out. As you probably know, some apps have two options: 1) free with ads and 2) paid with no apps. I have tried some of the free with ads just to get a feel for a program and then made a decision whether to buy.

When I moved from the palm to the Droid I was anxious to take all those paid apps with me (even if payment was again required) and handbase is still one of the few available. I am still waiting on two others that are very important to me.

However, if the lull in paid purchases causes you to delay app upgrades I can accept that (although you have no where said that this is your policy), but hopefully the sales will pick up which helps us both.
Dr. Richard Williams

Postby BradW76 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Maybe because of general expectations about the platforms? People are used to Apple = proprietary = status symbol = pricey, while Android = open = free = as in "free beer".

I have been dismayed to read in reviews of Android software the reviewer give it a glowing review for function, then at the end complain that at $2 it was really too expensive, or say the developer is "greedy" for charging for it at all.

I recently went through and got the pay versions of all the apps I use. Some I would have been happy to pay more for. (Part of it is, I just don't feel right asking for a new feature if I haven't paid for the ones already there!) I really feel for you, I know programming is hard work to get right, and a smooth app is well worth paying for.
BradW76

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 pm

I've always been openly critical of the .99 cent price point introduced by the iTunes App Store, as it seems a ridiculously low amount to charge for a quality application. People need to realize that if true quality is desired, while in some cases it will be given away for free most likely it is going to cost. The reason is simple - investment in time deserves and needs a monetary compensation.

While it's true a rather large percent of Market apps are free, I have to admit most seem to be pure junk. Routinely watching a RSS feed of new apps has convinced me.

True quality apps, such as HanDBase and a few others, need to be exalted by the Android community to show what is capable in terms of functionality.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby edwin2011 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 am

no problem here to pay a 20. 30 or 40 us$ for a reliable, solid and maintained product. Does android leave room for a model like standard and pro app. so when you want certain features you can require a "normal" price. Everyone want everything for free but when you ask them to work for free they say, no can't do have to pay my bills.
So anyone with a working commercial brain will now that 99 ct is not paying the developers bill's
*** edwin ***
Samsung S4 / Palm Treo
edwin2011

Postby greyman56 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 am

I would also pay extra for the Pro version with additional features such as forms.
Cheers, Graham
greyman56

Postby Avi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Howdy all,

I too have been a HanDBase user since my Clie, now Windoze Mobile, and wanting to move to Android. I run my entire business through it, so I agree with the sentiments here of those who said they would be willing to pay a realistic price for a full-featured HanDBase for Android - particularly when I think about what Micro$oft charges for things like Office, which I use much less and for which there are plenty of reasonable substitutes, I think HanDBase is terribly underpriced! Now don't go jumping down my throat, think about the value you get. I've bought HanDBase multiple times, both for myself on various platforms and for employees, and I feel good about supporting a developer who puts us first. What is this $0.99 app business, some kind of joke? What kind of quality and support can you expect for that? You get what you pay for. I would be happy to see a sliding scale of prices for features as has been proposed here. I think maybe HanDBase needs to be pitched more seriously to the corporate user - multiple users collaborating on multiple devices running multiple programs is in HanDBase's pedigree and a core description of its value - I think this concept has gotten a little lost since the power days of HanDBase on Palm OS. Look at the Professional and Enterprise versions - where are they today? Could this business model work for you, Dave? Would it justify adding more programming personnel? You have a top-flight application! There's nothing else like it out there!

ON another note, while I also agree with those who find the lack of Forms a real problem, and also some viewing inconveniences/bugs, I've got a bigger one, and I doubt, seeing what Dave has written here and in other threads, it'll ever get addressed: I need to record data and read piles of existing data in a non-European language (Hebrew) and because of encoding issues, this only works properly in HanDBase for Windows, Palm, and Windows Mobile, the latter two being the only mobile os's that support non-European languages in HanDBase, and both virtually obsolete. As a matter of fact, if I were to open an existing record containing Hebrew in the Android version, it would be rendered irrevocably and irreversibly in Greek characters, and I would lose the record once saved back to my desktop!Talk about data loss .... Dave has said the only real solution is for him to rewrite the app for all platforms from the ground up, and based on his description of how his business is holding up, I don't think that's realistically going to happen.

So what does someone in my predicament do? I value HanDBase highly, need it with me everywhere. Someday my Windows Mobile device will die just like all my Palm devices. The only options that occur to me are: 1. Get an Android device for everything else, and carry an extra device just for HanDBase, either my current WM device, or a UMPC running full-fledged Windows. I guess I could find yet another empty pocket somewhere in my work overalls ... 2. Get an Android device, set up my office PC as sort of a HanDBase server, and use a remote access program like LogMeIn to run HanDBase remotely over the internet!Probably slow and frustrating.... 3. Abandon HanDBase after all these years and use ????? instead? Not an option. What would you do?

-avi
Avi

Postby curtterp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm

The smart aleck in me has this answer - Use English

The practical side in my has this asnwer - That is a problem that I do not have any clue how to solve at this point.

But

I did Bing and found this

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-in ... oid-phone/

Not sure how comfortable you are with doing this, but I thought I would put it out here just in case.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 pm

The HanDBase database format has never been capable of storing Unicode fonts. They would need to be stored in a different way, hence the rewrite that Dave would have to do. Palm and Windows Mobile both did a bit of "magic" behind the scenes to map what was stored to a display font, therefore working around the file format limitation at an OS level.

I'm not sure if the link Curt provided would work, but it is something that would be worth experimenting with.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby curtterp » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:07 am

I found another link this morning, I think that this one might be a little easier than the last link

https://sites.google.com/a/bardavid.com ... brew-fonts
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Android