HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:32 am

As many of you are aware, we've been working on finding a method that would allow HanDBase users running a Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or select Gingerbread devices (Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix 2, Samsung Stratosphere) to sync with HanDBase on a computer.

Prior to Android v3.0 (Honeycomb) all Android devices came with support for USB drive (mass storage) mounting. Our conduits were developed based on this specification and worked fine before the change in Android v3.0 (and later revisions such as Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)). In
these newer versions of Android a different protocol called MTP was used that does not support drive mapping in the OS. Because of this change, our conduits no longer worked as designed- as an out of the box sync solution for Android. We've been working on a completely new
implementation of a sync conduit based on a server based sync and hope to offer a solution in the coming months.

Rather than have our customers wait for this solution to be designed, developed, tested, and released, we spent some time looking for alternative workarounds. The workarounds we found require the use of third party software to map the SDCard drive as a mountable drive over the wifi connection. Some of these involve free tools, and some require purchasing a commercial software package. We tried to find free solutions to use but unfortunately that was not always a reliable solution.

Please consider this as a possible workaround for syncing via our conduit if your device is running a version of Android that uses MTP only. If you'd rather not purchase a third party tool (note: root users can work around the purchase of the third party tool (see instructions)), you can still continue to sync a database manually using this method:

• Email the database from Android to your PC.
  • Use the File|Merge feature to merge this with your desktop database.
  • Email the resulting merged database back to your Android device.
  • Opening the attachment in HanDBase and it will merge/sync the changes back to the device.

The steps in this article (see link below) are broken down into three phases:
  • upgrading HanDBase Plus/Professional/Enterprise on the computer (phase 1)
  • preparing the Android-powered device(phase 2)
  • setting up the sync partnership between the two (phase 3)

Phase 2 is broken down into two subsections:
  • for those devices that do not have root access
  • for those devices that do have root access

This information plus full step-by-step instructions are here:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files/Syncin ... Device.pdf

Special Notes:
1. The updated HanDBase addons, which are version 4.25, are available for download in your account.
2. The demo version of the addons have not been updated yet. We are working on it. They will most likely be available early next week.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Postby Richi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 am

Hi Brian,

you just brought me to the idea to sync my database with WIFI:

1. I only had to run the app "DavDrive" (maps sdcard as a network drive).
2. Then i synced successfully without doing any changes in HandDBase Desktop Settings.

OS used:
Android version 2.3.3 not rooted
Windows 7 - 64

Regards,
Richard
Richi

Postby kronhead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Richard's solution did not work for me - at least not yet ...

I am running Vista, so that's a difference.

Anyway, I installed Davdrive, and have it running, and windows has a drive letter mapped to it.

When I tried to do a sync using the existing "Android User" it says it cannot connect to device or memory card. Looking at Dave's writeup, he did say to delete the existing user - but I hate to delete something that works (I am not yet on ICS), so I just tried to create a new user - but it says "the device connected already has a partnership setup." Which implies it is seeing the device ... So I am willing to delete the existing user - but it seems like this issue is more likely related to the Info directory on the phone, and the deviceid.txt file? I tried renaming that file (again, just to save it) and now trying to setup a new android user gives "could not locate any connected drive letters that are linked to Handbase on an Android device." So now I am really confused ...

I realize this is not Dave's recommended solution, but any info on the underlying process going on would be appreciated.

By the way - I don't really consider paying $70 bucks for South River's Webdrive client an acceptable solution to getting this sync to work. I have some questions about the email/merge solution, but I will post those separately.

Dan
kronhead

Postby Number Cruncher » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:20 am

Samsung have done away with USB storage mode with the Galaxy S3 so I feared I was going to have to wait for a fix but Richard's Davdrive suggestion worked perfectly and I have been able to set up a partnership and sync over wifi.

Thank you for the suggestion Richard.
Number Cruncher

Postby harryman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm a new user and just bought HandBase for Android and am using the trialversion on my laptop.
Is there any time schedule for the release of the software with a working sync on Android 4?
I have seen the work arounds, but of course I would prefer to have just a working system without al this.

I just thought to have found the perfect product for me, but now this is disappointing.
harryman

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi "harryman"

At present we don't have a public time frame. It wouldn't be responsible of me to commit to one right now as there are so many variables that can affect a release date. I do promise that we will provide status updates from time to time as we get near a release date.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Shepherd Jim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:15 am

I was wondering what the latest new is on running HAD in Ice Cream Sandwich.

I'm on a Verizon Droid RAZR MAXX - Android 2.3.6 -- when I go into Settings/About Phone I see a greyed out System updates
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby curtterp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Shepherd Jim wrote:I was wondering what the latest new is on running HAD in Ice Cream Sandwich.

If you are wondering the latest version of HanDBase for Android is, Dave just released 4.5.6a to the play store yesterday. The new version doesn't address the sync by cable problem yet. I think that is going to be an update to the desktop program since the desktop program controls the sync by cable.

Shepherd Jim wrote:I'm on a Verizon Droid RAZR MAXX - Android 2.3.6 -- when I go into Settings/About Phone I see a greyed out System updates

The ICS update for the Razr Maxx should be live now. If the update button is greyed out, that is something that Verizon is going to have to answer about what is going on.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:14 pm

True, this version does nothing to alleviate the sync issue. It addresses several Android 4.x stability issues and adds sharing support.

Regarding the update to the Razr, make sure that you are connected via wifi and make sure that the option to sync social apps via wifi is unchecked (I think ;) )
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Shepherd Jim » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 am

Brian_Houghton wrote:True, this version does nothing to alleviate the sync issue....<snip>...

Regarding the update to the Razr, make sure that you are connected via wifi and make sure that the option to sync social apps via wifi is unchecked (I think ;) )

I continued to check in Settings but the "system update" option in "Phone" continued to be grayed out.

BUT, just a minute ago a notification window opened announcing that a sytem update had been downloaded and was ready to be installed. It said the update installation would take 15 minutes during which time I would not be able to place or receive phone calls and I should be sure to have the phone plugged in to house current. This notice seemed to come from Motorola rather than Verizon.

My phone's screen is now blank, black expect for the image of small white box with the top flipped open. A green "Droid" has jumped out of the box trailing a red arrow behind it. There is an orange "progress bar" 1" below the box, etc.

============ UPDATE 7/25 2012 =======================

Okay, I am now running Android 4.04 and will have to lay low for a little bit while I get this all figured out.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android