HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Postby slubo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 am

slubo wrote:
curtterp wrote:Hi
I don't have wifi on my PC. I did not need it with my sgs2. I have noe HTC One. I'd like to sync my htc one jb4.3 manually (no mass storage option). I can't find any option in my htc Handbase to import/open/merge mail attachment sent from my PC as you described in your post.
your help is much appreciated.

When you send an email with the database to the email on the phone, when you press on the attachment in email (I am assuming that you are using gmail that you registered your account with and you are using the stock gmail app), then the HTC One should ask you what to open the attachment with. HanDBase should be one of apps in the popup box (you might have to scroll down to find it). Press on HanDBase, then press Always button at the bottom. HanDBase will come up and if the database is on the HTC One, it will sync, otherwise it will just put the database in correct folder.

Dan is correct, if you have a WiFi access point on your network, you should be able to sync wirelessly to your computer. If the computer is at work and you have no control over the Wifi network, or there are security on the network to prevent you from being able to hook your phone up through WiFi, then email is about the only option. If you are at home, you can buy a cheap WiFi router to add to your network in order to sync wirelessly.

Dave is looking into a cloud based sync (dropbox, google drive), but I am not sure where he is on that for Android. Since he is the only programmer for DDH Software, he has a lot on his plate all the time. Dave can address where he is on cloud based sync's.

thanks curt, i'm going to try it manually
sam[/quote]
did it manually smoothly...but I guess once I establish the PC-HTC connection life should be enlighted...
slubo

Postby slubo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am

slubo wrote:
curtterp wrote:Hi
I don't have wifi on my PC. I did not need it with my sgs2. I have noe HTC One. I'd like to sync my htc one jb4.3 manually (no mass storage option). I can't find any option in my htc Handbase to import/open/merge mail attachment sent from my PC as you described in your post.
your help is much appreciated.

When you send an email with the database to the email on the phone, when you press on the attachment in email (I am assuming that you are using gmail that you registered your account with and you are using the stock gmail app), then the HTC One should ask you what to open the attachment with. HanDBase should be one of apps in the popup box (you might have to scroll down to find it). Press on HanDBase, then press Always button at the bottom. HanDBase will come up and if the database is on the HTC One, it will sync, otherwise it will just put the database in correct folder.

Dan is correct, if you have a WiFi access point on your network, you should be able to sync wirelessly to your computer. If the computer is at work and you have no control over the Wifi network, or there are security on the network to prevent you from being able to hook your phone up through WiFi, then email is about the only option. If you are at home, you can buy a cheap WiFi router to add to your network in order to sync wirelessly.

Dave is looking into a cloud based sync (dropbox, google drive), but I am not sure where he is on that for Android. Since he is the only programmer for DDH Software, he has a lot on his plate all the time. Dave can address where he is on cloud based sync's.

thanks curt, i'm going to try it manually
sam[/quote]
edit:
did it by WIFI using app. named ES FILE EXPLORER (play google-free) according to these guidelines: http://www.howtogeek.com/120882/how-...fi-on-android/
works smoothly
sam
slubo

Postby kronhead » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:45 am

slubo wrote:did it by WIFI using app. named ES FILE EXPLORER (play google-free) according to these guidelines: http://www.howtogeek.com/120882/how-...fi-on-android/
works smoothly
sam

Sam - if this is satisfactory for you, that's great. But if you can do this, then you have all the needed components to do Handbase's own syncing. Launch Handbase on the phone and, on the Choose Database screen, touch the Sync icon (two arrows in a circle - upper right corner of the screen). It and it will display the network info you need to enter on the PC (something like http://192.168.0.11:8080). Next, define a sync connection in Handbase on the PC, using the Wifi option and the http info (it will remember it after the first time), and the sync will run. You only need to do the "define" process once, of course.

As I said, if you are happy with what you have, that's fine too. I prefer the Handbase sync because I can do updates in both places (phone and PC), and in one step, all updates get applied everywhere. The only caveat (for your method as well) is not to update the SAME record in 2 different places, between sync runs.

Dan
kronhead

Postby slubo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:23 pm

kronhead wrote:
slubo wrote:did it by WIFI using app. named ES FILE EXPLORER (play google-free) according to these guidelines: http://www.howtogeek.com/120882/how-...fi-on-android/
works smoothly
sam

Sam - if this is satisfactory for you, that's great. But if you can do this, then you have all the needed components to do Handbase's own syncing. Launch Handbase on the phone and, on the Choose Database screen, touch the Sync icon (two arrows in a circle - upper right corner of the screen). It and it will display the network info you need to enter on the PC (something like http://192.168.0.11:8080). Next, define a sync connection in Handbase on the PC, using the Wifi option and the http info (it will remember it after the first time), and the sync will run. You only need to do the "define" process once, of course.

As I said, if you are happy with what you have, that's fine too. I prefer the Handbase sync because I can do updates in both places (phone and PC), and in one step, all updates get applied everywhere. The only caveat (for your method as well) is not to update the SAME record in 2 different places, between sync runs.

Dan

I guess I could not establish connection in my previous tries due to my clumsiness...this time it worked fine as you suggested while I configured correctly the device ip in the pc Hanbase wizard (which I must done wrongly before). now it works as it should...thanks again
sam
slubo

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:45 am

Regarding cloud syncing, we are currently focusing on iOS.
We will then be looking into the potential for bringing it to Android.

Regarding syncing HanDBase on an Android to HanDBase Plus, Professional or Enterprise for Android on a computer, there are some important things to consider:

- USB syncing is only supported when the Android device runs Gingerbread (2.3) or lower
- When syncing via wifi, both the Android and the computer have to be connected to the network via WiFi - the computer cannot be connected via ethernet (cable)
- The official steps for syncing are:

- connect the Android device to the same Wi-Fi network your computer uses
- open HanDBase for Android to the database selection screen
- tap the connect button, which resembles to circular arrows
- open HanDBase Desktop
- select the Configure / Android Users menu option
- select the option to set up a new user/partnership
- select the option to set up the sync via Wi-Fi
- follow the remaining prompts

You should now have a working sync. To sync again follow the first five steps listed above and then select the " synchronize" option.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mjhanna » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:Regarding syncing HanDBase on an Android to HanDBase Plus, Professional or Enterprise for Android on a computer, there are some important things to consider:
- When syncing via wifi, both the Android and the computer have to be connected to the network via WiFi - the computer cannot be connected via ethernet (cable)
That is most interesting, Brian. but does not seem to apply to me.

I have my computer connected via ethernet, and successfully sync my Android to it via wifi. Perhaps the reason it works for me is that I have static IP addresses, and both the wifi Android and ethernet computer addresses are in the same network?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby slubo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:34 pm

mjhanna wrote:
Brian_Houghton wrote:Regarding syncing HanDBase on an Android to HanDBase Plus, Professional or Enterprise for Android on a computer, there are some important things to consider:
That is most interesting, Brian. but does not seem to apply to me.

I have my computer connected via ethernet, and successfully sync my Android to it via wifi. Perhaps the reason it works for me is that I have static IP addresses, and both the wifi Android and ethernet computer addresses are in the same network?

I confirm...have right now synced successfully when my PC is connected to the network via ethernet and my HTC One via WiFi.
and my PC IP address is dynamic...
sam
slubo

Postby curtterp » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 am

I am sure Brian misspoke about the computer cannot be on ethernet... because that is the way 99% of the desktop computers are connected to the WiFi access point/router :D

and it doesn't matter if the IP address is static or dynamic... either will work.

There is one potential problem with choosing a static IP address on your home network, that would be if you choose an address inside the address range that the DHCP server is serving up address's from, you could get 2 IP address's that are the same, which will knock out both devices. The DHCP server only looks at which address's are being used that it has served up. It does not go out and check to see if there is an address that is assigned statically. If you want to assign an address statically, you need to go into the DHCP server (more often than not, this is your router) administration panel to see the range that the DHCP server is assigning address from, and choose an address outside of that range.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 am

I generally advise using wifi on the desktop when people have trouble syncing because a majority of the time, the issue is that the handheld connects to a network other than theirs (ie, an unprotected network at the neighbors).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Previous

Return to HanDBase for Android