HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Postby Shepherd Jim » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Okay, NOW I'm really confused!?

I seem to have just successfully synced my Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX running Android 4.04 (ICS / Ice Cream Sandwich) via USB cable connection in pretty much the same manner as I had always done before upgrading to ICS.

I plugged the Droid into a USB port on my PC laptop (Win7 Pro - 32bit)
    I pulled down "Notifications" and selected "USB Computer Connection"
    I clicked on "Mass Storage -- lets you transfer files on Windows and Mac" (other options are Media Device MTP) and Camera (PTP) ??)
    I then opened HanDBase Desktop
    and clicked on "Configure/Sync" and then "Android Users" in the dropdown
    I selected my Android Device in the "Manage Android Users" window
    and then clicked on the "Synchronize" button

Checking the log after what seemed to be an SOP sync shows all file appear to have been run through in the normal manner. A new database I had crfeated yesterday on the phone has migrated successfully onto the desktop.

What am I doing right? I thought that now that I'd upgraded to Android 4/ICS I was no longer going to be able to sync via the USB connection.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby curtterp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

What you are seeing is Motorola is using USB Mass Storage for the sd card, which is good for you, you will have sync via cable unlike some of us. Motorola, not Google is providing the layer for this to happen.

The first ZOOM tablets (running Honeycomb) and the Galaxy Nexus (Running ICS) do not have an SD card, and the interface is MTP ( which does not have a USB Mass Storage option) Both are running vanilla Android with no manufacturer skins.

It looks like to me, that some people will have the sync by cable functionality with ICS, but it depends on the Manufacturer/Phone/Skin.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Shepherd Jim » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:42 am

curtterp wrote:What you are seeing is Motorola is using USB Mass Storage for the sd card, which is good for you, you will have sync via cable unlike some of us. Motorola, not Google is providing the layer for this to happen....<snip>...

WoW! I'm usually not one of the ones to be granted much in the "Luck" column! I do enjoy being able to sync my HanDBase files in the good old way. I do not understand the difference between "Mass Storage" and "Media Device (MTP)" and/or "Camera (PTP)". It seems that the phone's default is to be USB-connected in the MTP mode. Before syncing HDB I click on "Mass Storage" (which UN-selects the MTP). After syncing I go down to the PC's Task Bar and eject the phone -- when given the all clear I get onto the phone and re-select MTP

I have to say that I miss the "Charge Only" USB connection option.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby curtterp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 pm

MTP is Media Transfer Protocol. You can find more information here if you are interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

PTP is Picture Transfer Protocol. You can find more information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 pm

I had hoped that Samsung would provide Mass Storage for the SD card of the Galaxy S III, but they only provide MTP and PTP.

Glad Motorola did right by your Motorola MAXX, Jim!
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby harryman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 am

I used the Guide in the first post to get my syncing fixed. Worked excellent.
I used other software:
WellFTP Server https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nNwb3J0Il0
not exciting, there are more free ftp servers available
for mapping the ftp server to a drive letter however I used: Netdrive: http://www.netdrive.net which is FREE for non-commercial use.
I suggest to advice this software in the syncing guide to, as the suggested Webdrive is not so cheap.
harryman

Postby curtterp » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:54 am

Good Morning

NetDrive was a failure in testing. It synced databases up to ~67kb, then caused errors during sync. Webdrive was the only one tested that did not have errors.

Since this topic was posted, Android HanDBase has sort of a cloud solution. Dave implemented code in the latest version (4.5.6a) which handles Google Drive and Dropbox access (These are the only two that I know of, others might work but I have not seen anything on the board about them).

Google Drive has an app to download to your device, and a small program to download to you computer. The desktop syncs a folder to Google Drive, and HanDBase desktop interacts with the databases in the folder. The device can pull from Google Drive and it acts like an emailed database. If the database exists, it will sync to that database, if it doesn't exist, then it downloads to the HanDBase folder. To get the database back up to Google Drive, you use the "Share" command (the old email command) and choose Google Drive. The only issue that I have seen is that the database will duplicate on Google Drive (you will get 2 or more copies if it already exists on Google Drive). Brian says he doesn't have the issue. Not quite as elegant as sync via USB, but effective for devices that do not have USB Mass Storage as an option on their device.

I do not know how well DropBox works, since I do not have an account there. I only have used/tested Google Drive.
Have a good day

Curt
curtterp

Postby kronhead » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 pm

curtterp wrote:Since this topic was posted, Android HanDBase has sort of a cloud solution. Dave implemented code in the latest version (4.5.6a) which handles Google Drive and Dropbox access (These are the only two that I know of, others might work but I have not seen anything on the board about them).

I hope DDH doesn't consider this a permanent solution. If DDH wants to expand the Android user base, it needs to offer a simpler solution. I realize it is not easy to build this, and they have limited programming resources. But, eventually, existing and new customers will all be on ICS ...

I hate the fact that Android forces developers to solve this problem for each app. During all my years of Palm products, there was a conduit infrastructure - one that migrated from wired to wireless seamlessly ... Google screwed up on this.

Doesn't Handbase on Iphone do wireless sync? I seem to remember DDH had to ADD a wired solution to satisfy the customers. I am curious if that wireless design could be retrofitted here, or are the underlying interfaces so different that none of the design is portable? Not the code - just the design ...

Dan
kronhead

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 am

kronhead wrote:
curtterp wrote:Since this topic was posted, Android HanDBase has sort of a cloud solution. Dave implemented code in the latest version (4.5.6a) which handles Google Drive and Dropbox access (These are the only two that I know of, others might work but I have not seen anything on the board about them).

I hope DDH doesn't consider this a permanent solution. If DDH wants to expand the Android user base, it needs to offer a simpler solution. I realize it is not easy to build this, and they have limited programming resources. But, eventually, existing and new customers will all be on ICS ...

In this question, were you referring to the workaround for this topic as being the permanent solution, or the new feature I added to the last version to enable cloud storage as a viable option in HanDBase? The first was indeed a temporary workaround and the second is part of the program now and something I intend to grow and expand upon in future updates and products.

I hate the fact that Android forces developers to solve this problem for each app. During all my years of Palm products, there was a conduit infrastructure - one that migrated from wired to wireless seamlessly ... Google screwed up on this.

I agree with you personally but I think Google's stance is that the paradigm/model of syncing to a desktop is one they don't want to be part of. They are pushing towards a cloud based sync where the desktop is not automatically a part, and the entire industry is following along (even Apple, though they do have iTunes sync still as an option). In this model for the future, the desktop will just be another access point to the data stored in the cloud and your devices and desktop will access these files in a smart way. Again, this is Google's plan and future for you, not what I personally want or would like to see. That said, I see the value in it, along with the many flaws, and I'm hoping to come up with a best of both world's scenario that will allow for automatic cloud syncing, and syncing to your desktop both.

Doesn't Handbase on Iphone do wireless sync? I seem to remember DDH had to ADD a wired solution to satisfy the customers. I am curious if that wireless design could be retrofitted here, or are the underlying interfaces so different that none of the design is portable? Not the code - just the design ...

On iOS we have to use wireless, as even though they have iTunes cable based syncing, it had no provision for 3rd party apps to back up or sync their data in a way useful to customers. So I had to develop a wireless server that runs within the HanDBase for iPhone. Then the desktop connects like a client and it does the syncing the opposite way that you'd expect. Limitations aplenty, such as the need to have the device on the same wifi network as the desktop and having to type in a web address to get the sync started. Originally Android had this beat with the simple cable based solution we implemented being possible. Now that's no longer an option, so I have looked into going the same route as I did on iOS. There are just lots of downsides to it and since the core of it is in communications libraries, much of it would have to be rewritten. If I'm going to rewrite it, I think I'd rather do something that is more flexible and has less of the downsides. So that's what I'm doing instead!
dhaupert

Postby kronhead » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 pm

dhaupert wrote:In this question, were you referring to the workaround for this topic as being the permanent solution, or the new feature I added to the last version to enable cloud storage as a viable option in HanDBase? The first was indeed a temporary workaround and the second is part of the program now and something I intend to grow and expand upon in future updates and products.

Well, I was referring to the current Dropbox solution. That is the new feature you are referring to? The problems I see with it are:

a) it doesn't do record level sync in the cloud - it just uses the cloud as transport to move files around, asynchronously, and
b) the user has to initiate multiple steps themselves, if I understand it correctly. That makes it prone to error, and difficult to support.

And I wonder how it would work with more than 2 devices and more than 2 users, doing different things at different times - assuming that's a model you officially endorse. Maybe you don't. I don't need it, but it seems like others here do.

I have not implemented the new solution - I will ASAP - but I have to stay I don't really understand the steps. Is there one, clear, step-by-step write-up? Does it cover procedures such as what a brand new user of handbase has to do, and what an existing user with databases already synced does, and finally how to create a new, synced database in an existing production environment? Those were all tough for me to figure out with the cable-based solution!

But back to Dropbox - I can do the transport myself with FTP over Wifi - so is this any better? I don't see the problem with a local-network only solution, at least for me - the cable-connected solution is local only, right? :)

Dan
kronhead

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android