HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: HOW TO: Syncing a Honeycomb/ICS Android w/ HanDBase

Postby deepoctave » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am

Well, here I am with a new ICS phone and no conduit... I'm sure Google has what they consider good reasons for not implementing USB Mass Storage, just as they had good reasons for not implementing MIDI (I'm a music teacher and that has been a major bummer), but I wish a new phone came with a set of warnings, changes, cautions, etc., just like a new power saw does. Finding out each change and drawback as you go along seems to be the only method when you have to upgrade.

I was able to get the HanDbase files (which had been properly synced from the old Captivate phone to the PC) onto the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III phone by connecting using either MTP or PTP and just copying the entire HanDbase folder from the PC to the phone's internal storage within Windows 7 Explorer. They then opened up just fine on the phone's HanDbase program.

Next, I'll try the Google Drive process for backing up (not syncing) the modified HanDbase files from the phone to the cloud so that they can be accessed on the PC as you've suggested. For now, I'll ONLY modify records on the phone and occasionally back the files up using this method.

Let me know if there is any encouragement I can give for a real sync conduit, other than letting you know that I still think HanDbase is the cat's pajamas! It is way better than the database program I used on the Palm before I discovered HanDbase. I "talk it up" to anybody that seems interested!

Blessings to you as well,
Mark
deepoctave

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby RGC1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:09 pm

How is the android sync to Handbase desktop going? When will be able to work with Jelly bean?
RGC1

Postby dhaupert » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi there,

Please see the posting above yours from Brian Houghton. As there is no drive mapping possible on most Jelly Bean devices, our conduit can't be updated to work with it- it's like trying to rotate tires right to left on a motorcycle- the tires just aren't there!

That said, Brian posted our official workaround which is to use a wireless drive mapping tool. Our conduit was updated to work over this tool and there is no cost for the additional Android app needed. Please take a look and let us know what you think!
dhaupert

Postby slubo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:As many of you are aware, we've been working on finding a method that would allow HanDBase users running a Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or select Gingerbread devices (Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix 2, Samsung Stratosphere) to sync with HanDBase on a computer.

Prior to Android v3.0 (Honeycomb) all Android devices came with support for USB drive (mass storage) mounting. Our conduits were developed based on this specification and worked fine before the change in Android v3.0 (and later revisions such as Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0)). In
these newer versions of Android a different protocol called MTP was used that does not support drive mapping in the OS. Because of this change, our conduits no longer worked as designed- as an out of the box sync solution for Android. We've been working on a completely new
implementation of a sync conduit based on a server based sync and hope to offer a solution in the coming months.

Rather than have our customers wait for this solution to be designed, developed, tested, and released, we spent some time looking for alternative workarounds. The workarounds we found require the use of third party software to map the SDCard drive as a mountable drive over the wifi connection. Some of these involve free tools, and some require purchasing a commercial software package. We tried to find free solutions to use but unfortunately that was not always a reliable solution.

Please consider this as a possible workaround for syncing via our conduit if your device is running a version of Android that uses MTP only. If you'd rather not purchase a third party tool (note: root users can work around the purchase of the third party tool (see instructions)), you can still continue to sync a database manually using this method:

• Email the database from Android to your PC.
  • Use the File|Merge feature to merge this with your desktop database.
  • Email the resulting merged database back to your Android device.
  • Opening the attachment in HanDBase and it will merge/sync the changes back to the device.

The steps in this article (see link below) are broken down into three phases:
  • upgrading HanDBase Plus/Professional/Enterprise on the computer (phase 1)
  • preparing the Android-powered device(phase 2)
  • setting up the sync partnership between the two (phase 3)

Phase 2 is broken down into two subsections:
  • for those devices that do not have root access
  • for those devices that do have root access

This information plus full step-by-step instructions are here:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/files/Syncin ... Device.pdf

Special Notes:
1. The updated HanDBase addons, which are version 4.25, are available for download in your account.
2. The demo version of the addons have not been updated yet. We are working on it. They will most likely be available early next week.

Hi
I don't have wifi on my PC. I did not need it with my sgs2. I have noe HTC One. I'd like to sync my htc one jb4.3 manually (no mass storage option). I can't find any option in my htc Handbase to import/open/merge mail attachment sent from my PC as you described in your post.
your help is much appreciated.
slubo

Postby kronhead » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

slubo wrote:Hi
I don't have wifi on my PC. I did not need it with my sgs2. I have noe HTC One. I'd like to sync my htc one jb4.3 manually (no mass storage option). I can't find any option in my htc Handbase to import/open/merge mail attachment sent from my PC as you described in your post.

I am sure you will get a more complete answer from the experts - but just to be clear, you don't need wifi on your PC necessarily - you need the PC and phone to be on the same network, but your PC can be connected directly to the network using an ethernet cable, and your phone can use wifi on the same network - assuming you have a router that has wifi for the phone, as well as ethernet for the PC.

I realize that may not be the problem you are addressing - but, just in case, I thought I would mention this. If you need me to explain this more, let me know.

Dan
kronhead

Postby curtterp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 am

Hi
your help is much appreciated.[/quote]

When you send an email with the database to the email on the phone, when you press on the attachment in email (I am assuming that you are using gmail that you registered your account with and you are using the stock gmail app), then the HTC One should ask you what to open the attachment with. HanDBase should be one of apps in the popup box (you might have to scroll down to find it). Press on HanDBase, then press Always button at the bottom. HanDBase will come up and if the database is on the HTC One, it will sync, otherwise it will just put the database in correct folder.

Dan is correct, if you have a WiFi access point on your network, you should be able to sync wirelessly to your computer. If the computer is at work and you have no control over the Wifi network, or there are security on the network to prevent you from being able to hook your phone up through WiFi, then email is about the only option. If you are at home, you can buy a cheap WiFi router to add to your network in order to sync wirelessly.

Dave is looking into a cloud based sync (dropbox, google drive), but I am not sure where he is on that for Android. Since he is the only programmer for DDH Software, he has a lot on his plate all the time. Dave can address where he is on cloud based sync's.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 am

In order to sync, both the computer and the Android have to be on the same wifi network.

Please follow the steps below to set up syncing:

- connect the Android device to the same Wi-Fi network your computer uses
- open HanDBase for Android and switch to the database selection screen
- tap the button that resembles two circular arrows
'- open HanDBase Desktop
- select the Configure / Android Users menu option
- select the option to set up a new user/partnership
- select the option to set up the sync via Wi-Fi
- follow the remaining prompts

You should now have a working sync. To sync again follow the first five steps listed above and then select the " synchronize" option.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby slubo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 am

kronhead wrote:
slubo wrote:Hi

I am sure you will get a more complete answer from the experts - but just to be clear, you don't need wifi on your PC necessarily - you need the PC and phone to be on the same network, but your PC can be connected directly to the network using an ethernet cable, and your phone can use wifi on the same network - assuming you have a router that has wifi for the phone, as well as ethernet for the PC.

I realize that may not be the problem you are addressing - but, just in case, I thought I would mention this. If you need me to explain this more, let me know.

Dan

Dan, many thx
Ihave tried but no connection was established. I'd love to get some more hints or maybe guideline how to establich ethernet-wifi connection (joining the HTC to the Homegroup win 7). looking forward
sam
slubo

Postby slubo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:29 am

curtterp wrote:Hi

When you send an email with the database to the email on the phone, when you press on the attachment in email (I am assuming that you are using gmail that you registered your account with and you are using the stock gmail app), then the HTC One should ask you what to open the attachment with. HanDBase should be one of apps in the popup box (you might have to scroll down to find it). Press on HanDBase, then press Always button at the bottom. HanDBase will come up and if the database is on the HTC One, it will sync, otherwise it will just put the database in correct folder.

Dan is correct, if you have a WiFi access point on your network, you should be able to sync wirelessly to your computer. If the computer is at work and you have no control over the Wifi network, or there are security on the network to prevent you from being able to hook your phone up through WiFi, then email is about the only option. If you are at home, you can buy a cheap WiFi router to add to your network in order to sync wirelessly.

Dave is looking into a cloud based sync (dropbox, google drive), but I am not sure where he is on that for Android. Since he is the only programmer for DDH Software, he has a lot on his plate all the time. Dave can address where he is on cloud based sync's.[/quote]
thanks curt, i'm going to try it manually
sam
slubo

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android