HanDBase for Android v4.6.316 Released

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase for Android v4.6.316 Released

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,

Just in time for the weekend, here is a new release of HanDBase for Android! Here's what has been addressed:

Fixes in 4.6.316:

Increased Font size in Forms
Show Forms icon in desktop connect when there are forms for that db.
Time Picker crashing on Android 2.2 and 2.3
White on White Field Type selector in 2.2 and 2.3
Bold Large font setting not working in forms
Could not scroll right in large forms
Shapes don’t show color set
Attributes did not change/set for checkbox controls
Switching to landscape goes back to start form on Android 3.2 and higher
Multi-Line text boxes will center the text vertically. Should align with top.
After copying a Form to the current database, the highlight Form selection display does not match which Form is actually selected.
The graphic border for a tab does not change during editing when it is resized by dragging.
Color picker horizontally obscured and not accessible on narrow devices.
Default Font size shown in preferences for list view and edit record was incorrect.

I am also preparing updates to the Forms Desktop to support Android- they are just about ready but I have to prepare the installers and upload them. Hoping they will be live by end of the day on Monday!

Have a great weekend and let me know if you see any issues.
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase for Android v4.6.316 Released

Postby Av8nFish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Dave (et al):

I'm an airline pilot and have used HanDBase as my logbook for nearly 10 years, first on Palm and now on Android. To my knowledge, it is STILL the only fully functional relational database available for those platforms. Well done and thanks!!!

However, Android version has some very annoying quirks I'm hoping your team can fix for people like me...

1) Ability to input "time of day" values in HH.MM format disappeared with latest update. So far as I can tell, my only option is HH.MM.SS, which wastes my time trying to "zero out" the seconds every time I input a time value. (I input "time of day" values by selecting "current time" and then making slight modifications to the minute portion of that value; seconds are not important). Bottom line; I need to be able to define my time fields in HH.MM format only...

2) On the WINDOWS DESKTOP version, values returned by a report that generate a summation of calculated elapsed time fields which result in a value greater than 24 hrs is expressed in "Days, HH.MM.SS". This is a very inconvenient way of displaying a value which I need to read in Hours and Minutes only. Days and Seconds have no usefulness in my particular context. Bottom line; I need to be able to define reported total elapsed time calculations in the format most useful to me, in this case, "HH.MM".

3) When generating the same report referred to in (2) above on the ANDROID platform, if the summation results in an elapsed time value greater than 24 hrs, the Android device drops the "Days" value COMPLETELY and only displays the HH.MM.SS remainder. This, as you would imagine, makes the elapsed time report a useless function when using the Android device...

I don't want to give the impression that I am dissatisfied with HanDBase; it is one of the most important tools in my flightbag... However, it would be so much more useful if I was given the option to define "time of day" and calculated "elapsed time" fields in a format that matched the context in which I am using them.

I thank you for your time and effort in making a very useful product!

Mike Kingery
Av8nFish

Postby mike@dcsamerica.com » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 am

1) Ability to input "time of day" values in HH.MM format disappeared with latest update. So far as I can tell, my only option is HH.MM.SS, which wastes my time trying to "zero out" the seconds every time I input a time value. (I input "time of day" values by selecting "current time" and then making slight modifications to the minute portion of that value; seconds are not important). Bottom line; I need to be able to define my time fields in HH.MM format only...

I would like to second this request. I would actually like to suggest that the time entry method be changed to the new "clock face" entry method that Google Calendar and Google Keep use. The "clock face" entry method is much faster for entering time than the scrolling method that was its predecessor.

Thanks,

Mike E.
mike@dcsamerica.com

Postby valiants » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Dave
A few small bugs to note in the forms
-Buttons will not show Large Bold font, it deselects after you tap ok and returns to standard, also Bold font does not seem to change anything with buttons

-Tabs will not change to either, Bold or Large Bold font size even though it says it has

-Scrolling seems to only work on the scroll bar edge of the screen this seems to be new it may be to do with the update of being able to scroll sideways with wide forms

-Cannot see or select picture control to add to form on smaller Samsung devices

-Shapes seem to effect double the area under them, eg if one is put near the bottom of a form it will leave a large empty space under it which makes the form very long
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby databezci » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:27 am

Hi ,

First off all, thanks for all developing for Handbase which I use it since several years.

I have a small matter about in Android version. When I shift the page horizontaly in fields data page, page can not change.stays in same columns. The data values can be shifted by verticaly only.

This was possible in Windows Mobile versions.

I will be pleased if you can considerate this feature in updated version.

Thanks and best regards
databezci

Postby mjhanna » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:08 pm

If I understand what you are asking, when in a List View you scroll the data right-to-left by touching the column headings and scrolling/dragging them. That will scroll the data columns below them. As stated in the Android User's Guide, p. 17, under the topic "Getting around the list view":
Tapping and dragging on the Field Name row, eg selecting Price in the above screenshot, to the
left or right, will traverse left or right through the fields. The leftmost column will stay stationary if
that field is visible in this view.
Hope this helps,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby databezci » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks Michael for your help. It works as you described.

I have another matter. I copied database files from my previous PDA based Windows to Android. They work all files, but I couldn't find how I can edit category name etc. In the past there was an option "edit categories" after "unfiled" and category names.

Best regards
databezci

Postby mjhanna » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Normally a new question should be posted as a new topic, so other users will more readily see it and offer help. But as for this question, I believe this might be a bug. The desktop version does have this "edit categories" option, but you are correct that it is missing from the Android version. I am confident that Dave will see this and add it to his bug list.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby mjhanna » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

After further research, this appears to be by design and not a bug. It appears that there is no need to "rename" a Category. It seems that the list of Categories is created dynamically on the Android from the collection of databases and the Category names to which each are assigned.

So you don't (need to) either "edit" or "rename" Categories. Instead do the following:
For one of the databases with the old name assign it to a (new) Category with the new name.
Now go to all other databases in the old Category and assign them to that new Category.

Exit HanDBase and then re-enter. If there are no databases still assigned to the old Category name, that old name will no longer show in the list of Categories. Rather than editing/renaming only one Category name you have to change the assignment of each database in that old Category. But the result is the same.

I have not fully tested this myself, but that is what I understand will occur.
Michael
mjhanna

Postby databezci » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Michael. Your way works to edit/rename/delete the categories.
Best regards
databezci

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android