Linked field showing strange characters

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Linked field showing strange characters

Postby valiants » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi all
Can anyone help me
I have a problem with strange characters showing up in linked feilds
Is this only an issue with my DBs or are there others with this issue ?
This is with a parent DB that links to child DBs
For example
I have a list of machines in the parent DB and I use the Name of the machine in the link
One of the child DBs is (the machines history) which will show the name of the machine through the Linked field
If I open the Parent DB and go to a machine I then go to its History in the History DB this will show the list of history Linked to this Machine
so far all is well
But if you then open one of the linked history records, the name of the machine which is shown in history will have strange characters in the second half of the word e.g.(Shreae"?)instead of Shredder

If you then reassign this history record back to the parent record it will show the name fully again

This will only happen if, in Preferences before I open any DBs, I deselect Recalculate on Relationship Lookup
An option which I would love to keep using Because it has speed up the opening of the DBs considerably (From about 20sec to 2sec)
Is this a Bug ?

Thanks for any help
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi Gabriel,

The option you mention should only effect relationship fields, are you using those in addition to the link/linked pair you have set up? Regarding the garbage character, I'm wondering if you'd be able to send me a copy of the two databases in question so I can check that the fields are all set up properly. If they are then this definitely sounds like a bug. Often times, the linked field is not pointing back to the correct link field and that can cause problems that are strange like this- perhaps you can double check that as well!
dhaupert
 
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby valiants » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Dave
I have already sent some DBs to Brian regarding sync errors that i cant resolve and am hoping he will get back to me on that
these will have the same problem with strange caracters which i thought may be related to the sync issue
But i have noticed that even in your sample DBs this is an issue
eg- Open Sample DB Time Billing
-then open its first record
-now on the default form there is a tab, Time Billing(Link) open this tab this will take you to the Child DB(Time Billing Detail)
-Open the top record on the list
-Look at the First field shown, Customer (Linked) This will have strange caracters showing in the name
-If you now Tap the Customer tab (Linked) you will be taken to the Parent DB (Time billing)
-Now select the highlighted record, you will be asked if you want to reasign this record
-If you tap no, the Linked record will still show the strange caracters
-If you tap yes, the proper name will be restored

I hope you can follow
Thanks
Gabriel H
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby mjhanna » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Gabriel,

I don't know if this is your issue, but you might try the following. When you open HanDBase on your Android device, and you have the list of databases to choose, touch the system Menu button at the bottom left. Choose Preferences. Be sure you have "turned on" the option to "Recalculate on Relationship Lookup". This might help.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:56 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby valiants » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi
I know about this and it does fix the problem
But as i said earlier ticking that option makes any of my DBs with relations very slow to open,
eg 20-30 secs instead of almost instant opening
which is quite a delay!
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:18 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby Gab-Hop » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:17 am

Hi Dave
Something to note about This Bug
The First 4 charactor's in the Linked Field will show correctly
But after that they are all mucked up
It does not matter what text is shown in the feild only the first 4 letters will show up correctly
"Thinking outloud" Is there an inbuilt Limit of charactor's for this feild that needs changing or something
Gab-Hop
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Linked field showing strange characters

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:04 am

I have duplicated this issue and reported it to Dave. Happens every time with Gabriel's instructions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 am


Return to HanDBase for Android

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest