Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

HanDBase Android Desktop Add-ons updated

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi,

I just uploaded new builds of the following:

Windows:
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on
HanDBase Enterprise for Android Add-on

If all went well it should have the new build that supports building forms for Android. I say that as I'm waiting for Brian to verify on his end. This is one of the things that's hard to test since I have so many versions installed on my system already!

Anyway, let me know if you see any issues with it. Thanks!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase Android Desktop Add-ons updated

Postby curtterp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:13 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi,

I just uploaded new builds of the following:

Windows:
HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on
HanDBase Enterprise for Android Add-on

If all went well it should have the new build that supports building forms for Android. I say that as I'm waiting for Brian to verify on his end. This is one of the things that's hard to test since I have so many versions installed on my system already!

Anyway, let me know if you see any issues with it. Thanks!

Enterprise Forms Wizard Issues

• When first starting the Forms Wizard, the device screen size selection screen has nothing for Android
  • After creating the form with the Wizard, Android shows up in the Platform Preview Settings screen
  • When trying to adjust Text boxes, the first box can be resized, but everything after the first, the right hand handle boxes do not show up.
  • Trying to adjust the text box size from the left hand handles does not resize the text box at all. Thus I am unable to edit the size of any text box after the first one.
  • When trying to resize the first text box on the left handles, the right hand side of the test box moves inversely to the direction I am trying to resize. It renders the left side handles ineffective to resize.
  • When trying to move the time field around, the time label goes to a wackly place and moves at the same time. I can independently move the time label by itself, but cannot move the time field at all. It keeps snapping back to the original location
  • Move fields around, saved, then sent to my device. Only a couple of the items were in the place I put them, but 80% of the items did not stay where I put them. The staying in the original location when the wizard first put them.
  • I opened up the form on the desktop after looking at it on the device, the items did not stay in place there either.
  • None of the settings showed up after opening (I expected to see which screen size I selected, and that Android was selected for device)

That is the way it looks to me. Again, I was using the Enterprise Desktop.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Curt,

The fact that you saw Android in the preview settings means you have the updated version- thanks for verifying! Regarding the issues:

1. There is no set screen size for Android (a huge variety in device resolutions as you are well aware) which is why I did not add one to the wizard. My recommendation is to use a 160 x200 form size and let the device upscale to fit automatically.

2. I will look into the text box movement issues you describe as well as the time field. Seems to have nothing to do with the Android support but a more global bug.

3. Regarding the form reverting- it sounds like it was either not saved or installed. You could check the sync log to see if the install and subsequent backup happened and that would rule out the latter. If you try again and get the same results, please email me with some details!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the update, but what is this newest version number as shown in Help/About from the Forms program itself?

I "think" I have the latest (4.7.5), and the program "claims" I am up-to-date, but I have had issues in the past installing the add-on so want to be doubly sure.

Thanks,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi Michael,

I just checked and it shows 4.8.0 in the about for the forms. I'm honestly not sure if I updated that one- for some reason I thought that the master build overwrote that value but I was wrong about that. Regardless, it's newer than 4.7.5!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:26 am

dhaupert wrote:Hi Curt,

The fact that you saw Android in the preview settings means you have the updated version- thanks for verifying! Regarding the issues:

1. There is no set screen size for Android (a huge variety in device resolutions as you are well aware) which is why I did not add one to the wizard. My recommendation is to use a 160 x200 form size and let the device upscale to fit automatically.

I picked a screen size just under the specs of my galaxy nexus...... fonts/boxes etc were way small :D

I will try another form with your suggestions

dhaupert wrote:2. I will look into the text box movement issues you describe as well as the time field. Seems to have nothing to do with the Android support but a more global bug.

ok

dhaupert wrote:3. Regarding the form reverting- it sounds like it was either not saved or installed. You could check the sync log to see if the install and subsequent backup happened and that would rule out the latter. If you try again and get the same results, please email me with some details!

The form was a brand new database (just for testing this) and it indeed installed. Checking the logs, it installed both times (according to the logs).

Attached is a zip file with the database, form and a copy of the last 2 syncs to my device.
Attachments
TestForm.zip
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby mjhanna » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:06 pm

curtterp wrote:I picked a screen size just under the specs of my galaxy nexus...... fonts/boxes etc were way small

Yes, Curt, through experimentation I have discovered the fonts, etc. are sized internally as a fixed number of pixels. For example the "Standard" text entry font is fixed at about 10 pixels high. But I found you can completely control the font size you actually see by a combination of Form Size and scaling. Scaling to produce the resultant Form you see starts with the "base" Form Size you specify, then is scaled up or down by the Scaling Factor you specify to get a "default" Form Size, and (if this default Form pixel size is smaller than your device) is automatically upsized to a "final" Form Size to fit the device.

Using round numbers as examples, if you specify a base Form Size of 1000 pixels high, about 100 lines of Standard text could fit in that Form. If that base Form Size is roughly the pixel specs of the hand-held device, that 100 lines of text may be a bit small to read. :D You could specify a Scale Factor to increase font size display. But if that results in a total default Form Size bigger than the device, the Form will now not fit the screen and will require scrolling. Some users may prefer that. Alternatively Dave has generally recommended on this Forum specifying a smaller base Form Size. For example if you specify a base Form Size of only 100 pixels high, then only 10 lines of Standard text would fit within the Form. Assuming your supplied Scale Factor is less than 10, this 100-high Form will be upsized by a total factor of about 10 to fit that 1000 pixel device. The result is that this same Standard text now will appear 10 times larger than in the 1000-high Form.

Specifying such smaller Form Sizes on higher resolution devices will not result in a Form taking up only a small portion of the screen. If the base Form Size and supplied Scale Factor will produce a default Form Size which is smaller than the device's specs, HanDBase will automatically upsize the Form to fill the screen. By picking an appropriate base Form Size and Scale Factor you can cause the text to display as any size you want.

It may not be intuitive to set Form Size to control font size display, but it works great.

Hope this gives you ideas,
Last edited by mjhanna on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby mjhanna » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:25 pm

dhaupert wrote:I just checked and it shows 4.8.0 in the about for the forms.
Thanks, Dave,
I separately downloaded the file and manually installed and Forms now shows 4.8.0. Thanks for your help.
Michael
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase for Android