Printing question?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Printing question?

Postby Tungsten » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:12 am

Hi,

I am starting to look at ways of printing from my Android devices, Nexus 10, Iconia A1 and Moto G phone via a WiFi HP printer.

I'm able to print a record from Handbase if I first save it to PDF but it prints as seen on screen, ie Black background and white text.

This is using an excessive amount of black ink and so was wondering if there is a way to reverse this, black text on white background.

Using forms may help but I don't particularly want to use them at this time.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks

Tungsten
Tungsten

Re: Printing question?

Postby valiants » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Not sure how to solve your problem with edit record screen
But with the forms if you do not want take the time to creat a custom one there is a forms wizard which will create an instant form much like the default one that comes up without forms installed
this can be changed to what ever colour you desire very easily

hope this helps
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby Tungsten » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 am

Hi,
I purchased the forms add on and set it up as you described and with some work on the layout it could work.

Do you know if it is possible to use different forms for different views?

During the new form setup using the form wizard it asks for a view to associate with the form. However all my views then use the same form regardless.

It was my hope to create a view called "Print" which then pulls up a form with white background and black text to be able to print. BUT my other views use the normal edit record screen without using forms. This way I can use the standard Edit record screen for new records and a "Print" view form to print out records.

If this makes sense to you any further help would be appreciated.

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby valiants » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Tungsten
As far as i know, and i could be wrong as i am just a long time user
There is not any way to use specific views for specific forms I have not been able to make any sense of that option in the wizard
However as regards this
This way I can use the standard Edit record screen for new records and a "Print" view form to print out records.

If you go into form options ie scalling, and sizing of the form you could set the form to only be the start form for editing records, and the default edit record screen will still be used to create new records

Although myself i would just make 2 forms
The first one would open all the time, and on it, along with all info i want to see
I would have a Button Labled Print, which would be assigned to another form which is custimised to only show the info that needs to be seen on the printed record

Hope you follow
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:41 am

Correct - views cannot be linked to forms specifically, but there is nothing stopping you from making a couple of forms that include fields from those particular views and switching between them as needed. You can set up buttons to jump between the forms. When setting up the forms, you can set up a simple black text on white background form for conservative printing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Tungsten » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:45 am

Hi,
The main reason for preferring to use the Edit Record screen is that two of my main databases use the note field. This field expands as you type which does not on a form.

The size of the note field box on a form has to be set which in practice seems to be either too small or way too big to suit my data in different records. This is then reflected in a print copy, a huge box with little text or a box with text cut off.

Maybe I will just have to create a note field on a form big enough to accept the maximum number of characters allowed by this field.

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby valiants » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Maybe I will just have to create a note field on a form big enough to accept the maximum number of characters allowed by this field.

Good idea just keep it within one page when printed
Hint: you can use font sizing in the text box that your note field is asigned to as this may enable you to fit it all on one page
Generaly on a form that you want to print, there will be a lot of fields that you may not need to show anyhow
which by using the custom forms you can hide, so that only data related to what you want printed will be shown
This will give you more space for the note field
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby Tungsten » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:36 am

OK - so l've created my form with white background and black text but have run into another problem.

I can't see the text cursor which I presume is white on the white background.

Other than change the background colour which is not really an option in my case is there any way around this.

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby valiants » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Tungsten
I Made a form with a lable (Notes)at the top and then put in a text box under it
the text box was big enough to fill the page or big enough to fit all text
i.e.longer or wider depending on how you want the text to wrap on the printed record

Now when i go to the record i can select anywhere on the page and the keyboard will automaticly pop up and i can enter or edit the text or (notes)
Also the (text curser) which i presume is the underline under text can be seen.
it is blue and it will be at the bottem of the text entry area so it may not be seen if your text box is bigger than the screen size but you should be able to scrole to it although this is not needed to enter text
Thanks
Gabriel H
valiants

Postby Tungsten » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:31 pm

When I click inside the note field a blue arrow appears to show where the cursor is but once you start typing the arrow disappears again until you touch inside the box.

What I have decided is to create the form but in form properties I have left both "Start Form for New Record" and "Start Form for Edit Record" unticked . This way I can use the regular Edit Record screen for day to day use and select the form options when needing to print. Not ideal but will suit my needs.

Thanks

Tungsten

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Tungsten

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android