Quick Search on Multiple Fields?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Quick Search on Multiple Fields?

Postby twcreek » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:56 pm

I have a simple database which contains about 300 records. It is a listing of all the sports champions in the four major sports, and includes winner, loser, final score, date, and league, over the past 60+ years. I have separate views for each sport, as well as one which contains all records sorted chronologically.

What I'd like is essentially a way to filter the records on both the Winner and Loser field by dynamic user-defined text. For instance, if I input "Denver Broncos" (OUCH!!), I'd like a list of any Super Bowl they appeared in. As I have it now, the Quick Search field is set to the Winner field, so I'll only see the two entries where they were victorious. I can do an advanced search, but it will have to be repeated after each record found, and I won't get a handy list of all of them collapsed into a short list (like I would on the Quick Search).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tim
twcreek

Re: Quick Search on Multiple Fields?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your post- ouch indeed! I appreciate your need for this feature and actually in the last big update on iPhone and iPad I changed the search features around significantly- on that platform there is no more advanced search or quick search, but one 'super search' that works like a hybrid of the two- you can control the params like the Advanced search and search all fields if you'd like, but it works right from Quick search box and acts as a filter, rather than a line by line. I think it is a big improvement and hope to move the Android version and desktops over to this in the future as well.

This was a feature I had planned for v5 but when I realized that I could do it without a format change, I decided to try pushing it up on the schedule. In terms of where it falls on the Android todo list, I still have the External fields support to accomplish there before I can even consider something like this so it won't likely be until later in the year at best. Sorry!
dhaupert

Re: Quick Search on Multiple Fields?

Postby twcreek » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks, Dave ... I appreciate all your hard work. Anything you can do to push this search enhancement out into production will be greatly appreciated.

Tim
twcreek

Return to HanDBase for Android