Speed of operation

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Speed of operation

Postby Benji » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm

David, we apologize for the lack of participation. Onward. Another user stated it was taking up to 30 seconds to perform an operation on his devices. I have a Note 3, 8, 10.1 (2012) and a Note 10.1 (2014). Each device takes up to 30 seconds to perform operations such as opening a new record, editing a current record, moving to another record and so on. The Note 8 and both Note 10.1s display the form more or less correctly, the Note 3, well I have given up with the forms and have moved away from them on that device.

Via my Note 3
Benji

Re: Speed of operation

Postby curtterp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Benji wrote:David, we apologize for the lack of participation. Onward. Another user stated it was taking up to 30 seconds to perform an operation on his devices. I have a Note 3, 8, 10.1 (2012) and a Note 10.1 (2014). Each device takes up to 30 seconds to perform operations such as opening a new record, editing a current record, moving to another record and so on. The Note 8 and both Note 10.1s display the form more or less correctly, the Note 3, well I have given up with the forms and have moved away from them on that device.

Via my Note 3

I am not seeing that with any of my devices. I have a Galaxy Nexus and Asus Transformer Prime. I also use a database that is 8.3mb in size for timing type testing.

The longest time that I see for any operation was 17 seconds on the Nexus. On the Transformer Prime, I was even playing with the database while the Play Store was updating Angry Birds (which really taxes the processor) and the longest time was 8 seconds.

Have you tried to clear the system cache? That is one cause of slowness of any Android App, but not always the culprit.

Does this happen to one particular database or does this happen with multiple databases?

Do you have a lot of relationships in your databases with a lot of calculations? If you have lot of calculations/relationships, and you have recalculate on Relationship activity Lookup checked (located in Preferences) this could cause a lot of lag.

Have you tried to create a brand new database with a couple of fields? Just wondering if you are seeing the lag doing this.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby Benji » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:01 pm

This is on all Samsung Note devices running the latest release. All of the devices I have are the Note series. System cache cleared to no avail. Opening n on-relational databases are equally slow.

Via my Note 3
Benji

Postby Benji » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 pm

The problem is relationship based. The test database created was related to match my routine. This means that the main database that looks to bunches of others and has never experienced any slow downs until forms, has a problem. I deleted and reset the relationship, problem still there along with another issue that needs to be followed up on. Also on calculations, those are minimal. Again, none of these issues existed until the forms function was released and the problem discovered. This database is 8 or so years old...

Via my Note 3
Benji

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:30 am

I use a Note 2, which is a little less powerful than what the Note 3 should be, and experience no problems at all with speed on it. I would be happy to test your databases if you can send me:

1) a copy of all related databases
2) a copy of all related form files
3) a complete list of the steps needed to reproduce the issue

You can send them to me at support @ ddhsoftware . com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Benji » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:45 pm

All ready sent the links to you. Will do it again.

Via my Note 3
Benji

Postby Benji » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Done. The relationship is broken between the 2.

Via my Note 3
Benji

Return to HanDBase for Android