Best CURRENT Sync Procedures Android 4.1 / Jellybean

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Best CURRENT Sync Procedures Android 4.1 / Jellybean

Postby MidCoast Jim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 am

Hey Hi!

I've been plodding along synching using a USB connection between Win 7 desktop and my Motorola RAZR MAXX (Android 4.1.2 (Jellybean)), but have decided it's time I take advantage of wirelessly linking.

I put the URL (DNS?) address offered when I clicked the little round twin arrow icon at the top right of the HDB "choose database screen" and pretty quickly had this in my browser:

...I can see where and how to upload and download both pdb's and .csv's of all my databases, but I'm not seeing how I can initiate an overall wireless synch.

I'm betting that the information I'm looking for is buried within the multiple pages of the "HANDBASE: Syncing with ICS/Jellybean" thread, but it would be best if there were a sticky "Notice" from DDH that presented the current, best, practice. The sticky post would be updated over time as bugs were fixed and questions answered ...which someone would be free to read if they chose to wade into 5 pages of discussion generated over a period of many months.

Another request: It would be very helpful if all references to the Android OS specified BOTH a Version No. and Name. I can't tell you how many times I've had to drill down into settings on my slower than syrup Droid to determine what Version of Android I'm running and then had to do a Google search to learn that 4.1.2 is called Jellybean. Funny, I figured I'd have been updated to Kit Kat by now but maybe my Droid RAZR MAXX won't handle it.

Thank you for all the hard work — it's VERY neat to have HDB on Andoid moved up into this century! I hope I'll have time soon to actually try Forms. It's been a LONG time since I've used forms in HDB!

Jim
MidCoast Jim

Re: Best CURRENT Sync Procedures Android 4.1 / Jellybean

Postby curtterp » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:13 pm

Turn Wifi on your device, and connect to your router

Open HanDBase on the device

Press on the two arrows in a circle. This brings up Desktop Connect screen

Open HanDBase Desktop

Click on Configure/Sync

Click on Android Users

Click Setup New Android User (You need to establish a new partnership for WiFi... the USB Partnership will NOT WORK)

Select Wifi radio button. Click Next

(here is where you can turn on your WiFi on your Android Device in case you missed the first sentence.) Click Next again

Enter the address that is showing on your Android Device INCLUDING THE "http://" and the ":8080" in the box provided. It should look like http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

Click Next

At this time, you should be establishing a new partnership. Give it a unique name when asked. It cannot be the same name as your USB Partnership. You should be able to do an initial sync at that point too.

There you go.....

To Sync after establishing the partnership

Turn on Wifi

Open HanDBase

Click on the two arrows

Open HanDBase desktop

Click Configure/Sync

Choose the WiFi partnership

Click Sync
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: Best CURRENT Sync Procedures Android 4.1 / Jellybean

Postby bh04 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:48 pm

I use the exact instructions and I established a partnership and successfully synch. Data are the same in the databases on both the Samsung S4 and desktop. But then I make changes on the phone and attempt to synch these changes to the desktop and the two fail to synch. I have default settings for all databases so changes on the android should be reflected on the desktop. This would not work. No network changes or other setting changes. So I deleted the android user and attempted to establish a new android user/ partnership using the same IP address as it appears on the android Samsung s4. All I get is an error message "Could not get Device name from device. Either..."

What is going wrong on this.
bh04

Return to HanDBase for Android