Problem naming new database

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Problem naming new database

Postby Tungsten » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 am

Hi,
I have run into a problem naming a new database.

If I create a new db using an existing db as a template the new db shows up as 'Untitled' in android file manager even though I gave it a new name in the General properties box. The new db name is shown correctly in the db list screen of handbase.

If the new db is created from scratch this new name is seen correctly in both Android file manager and handbase.

Can I just rename 'Untitled' to whatever I want and still expects it to work in handbase

Thanks

Tungsten
Tungsten

Re: Problem naming new database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:25 am

Hi Tungsten,

Thanks for writing.

I have had one other user report this, but I am unable to duplicate the problem on my end.

You can safely rename the *.pdb file as you wish using a standard file manager.

Assuming we can ever duplicate the problem here, we will get this fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby aa6vhDave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:18 am

This happens to me all the time when createing a new database from an existing one. I just make it a habit to immediately go into my file manager and rename the "untitled.pdb" file to its proper name.
aa6vhDave

Postby Tungsten » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:03 am

I've been able to replicate this on my two android tablets and mobile phone.

I renamed the file in question and everything working OK

Thanks

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:44 am

Thanks for following up.

What model of Android are you experiencing this on?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Tungsten » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:25 am

Hi Brian

I can replicate this issue every time on both my Google Nexus 10 running Kitkat 4.4.2 and an Asus Memo pad 10 running Jellybean 4.2.2.

Just tried my other tablet an Acer Iconia A1 running Jellybean 4.2.2 and it also reproduces this issue every time.

I was unable to reproduce the problem on my Moto G mobile running the latest Kitkat version.

HanDBase version 4.6.316

This issue only happens when creating a new database using another as a template.

New databases from scratch do not have this naming problem

Tungsten
Tungsten

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 am

Hi there,

I see what you're describing and allow me to explain:
- The file name of a database has nothing directly to do with it's database name. Well, it does initially when you create one from scratch it tries to create a file with the name: databasename.pdb

but if you rename a database, the file name does not rename to match. The file name is irrelevant to HanDBase as we use the internal database name. This allows you to create copies of a database with the same name of the database.

- When you create a database from another as a template the file is created as soon as you select the database. At this time, the database is named untitled, so hence the file is also named to match.

As I mentioned above the file can be renamed to anything you want- HanDBase doesn't use the file name at all.

I know that many users expect the correlation between db name and file name and perhaps some day I will change the file saving code to rename a file if the database name changes. But the reason I haven't done so already is that often times people have batch files and such that are tied to the name of the file not changing.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby Tungsten » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:42 am

Hi Dave

After your explanation I now understand where the Untitled name is coming from, however it just seems odd that all new db's created this way are all called Untitled 1,2,3...etc.

Unless you rename the file straight away it becomes impossible to identify db files using file manager.

I have my android HanDBase folder set to backup to SD Card and Dropbox each day. Unless the files have been renamed i dont see how I could restore an individual file in the event a source file is damaged.

Something to remember I guess after making new databases, check the file name.

Thanks

Tungsten
Tungsten

Re: Problem naming new database - possible solution

Postby shalom » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 am

Add a field in the general database settings screen for the actual file name so it can be changed there instead of having to remember to change it in a file manager.
Also, on a database with the settings encrypted, the category should still be changeable by the user, as well as possibly the views and viewing the author screen too.
shalom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 am

Hi,

These features are already present. Check out Database Properties / General, Database Properties / Views and Database Properties / Author. Each can be edited.

Let me know if I am misunderstanding.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android