Looking for a way to speed up DB

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Looking for a way to speed up DB

Postby Gab-Hop » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

I have a DB that calculates Pump flow rates.
But on android devices it is very slow to open eg(50sec), where as on the old win mobile it was much faster eg(2sec).
It does not seem to be anywhere near the limitations on any of the specs of a Handbase DB
Although you can tick the option in preferences to not (recalculate on relationship lookup) which will halve the time to open the DB, this can cause other problems
is the anything else i could try

It uses text fields along with relational fields for some of its calculations
I was wondering if
1- should i be using integer fields instead of text fields as the values in them are only numbers (also what is the differances between these two field types ?)
2-would it be better using conditional fields to get the value from the relational fields. (This is to use as a value in part of a calculated field) rather than using the relational field straight in the calculated formula

hope you can understand
Thanks
Gab-Hop

Re: Looking for a way to speed up DB

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:56 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

Relationships can impact the speed of a database during its opening. Unfortunately if you are using a lot of relationships and opt not to disable the option in preferences there is not a lot that can be done to speed this up.

Regarding integer and text field types, integer fields will only hold numerical, non-floating values. Text fields can hold anything text based - strings of words, numbers represented as integers and floating values, etc. You can use either within relationships, but text fields do not work within calculated fields.

Regarding the second question, conditional fields cannot pull values or create parent/child structures, so they would not be suitable as an alternative to relationship fields.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android