Locked Out of Password Protected Database

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Locked Out of Password Protected Database

Postby Scriptham » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi
I have Handbase for Android on an Xperia X10 mini pro. I have several databases that I use regularly. Two of them are secured by password. I was using one a few days ago for data look up. In error I left the phone overnight with this password protected db open. Having forgotten I came to it the next day, brought the screen up and realised what I had done. I closed Handbase. Since then I have not been able to open this particular db.

All other dbs open including other password protected ones. In this particular db if I type the wrong password it tells me. If I type the right password it reverts to the Handbase icon. This happens when I use Choose db and when I use Manage db.

So far I have switched the phone off several times. I have removed the battery twice. None of this was of benefit.

The db contains important information and I need to open it. Please advise how to proceed.

Many thanks Scriptham.
Scriptham

Re: Locked Out of Password Protected Database

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to read of the issue you encountered with this password protected file.

Based on your description of the symptoms, it unfortunately sounds as though it may have become corrupted.

Please contact me at support @ ddhsoftware . com so we can look at potential options!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby muppet » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 am

The same has happened to me on my Samsung Ace3 when trying to open an important database, and I am getting the message "password does not properly decrypt this data. Please try again". I also inadvertently left it open overnight. Can you help me?
muppet

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:54 am

This can happen in the event that more than one password was used to encrypt data. If you did use more than one password, try entering each that you used.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby muppet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Only 1 password was used and only on 1 database, and it has been fine for a number of years, until now. It seems to have occurred after I left the database open overnight. Could it have become corrupted?
muppet

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 am

It is a possibility that it did.

My understanding is that this is an encrypted database, not a password protected database, correct? If yes, unfortunately I cannot recover files that are encrypted, so the best recourse would be to recover to your latest backup. Let me know if you need help doing so.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:17 am

Out of curiosity... @Scriptham can you confirm that the database that you are having problems with is indeed encrypted like @muppet's database is and is not just using an Access password, for example requiring a Password to Open the database, using the Set Access Password and Set Access Permissions in the Security Settings?

@muppet and @Scriptham, when you say you left the database open overnight...can you confirm that you opened it prior to midnight, local time, entering the Decryption password to see all the data in the records and then just left that database open on the screen. Meaning you didn't use the "Back Button" to close the database and exit HanDBase or press the "Home Button" to return to your Android device's main screen, essentially leaving HanDBase, and that database, open in the background. Assuming that is the case, approximately how long was it left open? When you did access your device again, what was visible on the screen? Was HanDBase still open? Was that database still open, and if so did you use the "Back Button" to close it and then exit HanDBase? Did an alarm go off, say to wake you up, so that was the screen that appeared first? If so, what steps did you take next to try to re-open the database?

I did a basic test to try to replicate this, simply setting my time back before midnight and opening an Encrypted database. Then I let the device move past Midnight and unlocked my Android device to see what happened. In that basic test I still had access to the Encrypted database. I'm sure it would be helpful to DDH Software to know the other details.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby Gab-Hop » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello all
I was locked out of my DB and after some systematic backtracking this is what i have found, and it is repeatable

The security setting was ticked (Encrypt Marked Fields on Record Close) with this option, every time i go to a record i am asked for a password which has worked well

the problem comes if i go to DB properties and try to ether
1.Encript a new field
2.Encript an already used field
3.Change the field type of an encripted field eg.(text to integer)

Doing any of these three things gives me an error on all records, and stopes me opening them. The error is: (Password does not decrypt record)
If i then go back to DB Properties and return things to how they were i am able to get back to my records

The problem is that i cant make changes to DB structure without locking myself out of the DB
Am i doing something wrong or is this a problem that needs addressing
Thanks
Gabriel
Gab-Hop

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 am

Hello Gabriel,

Thanks for following up.

Prior to making changes to structure, do the following:

- go to Database Properties / Security
- choose to decrypt records
- enter your password
- choose Disable Encryption on this Database

Then make your structure changes.

Finally, enable encryption again in Database Properties / Security.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android