Renaming DB problems

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Renaming DB problems

Postby Gab-Hop » Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Dave
I have a set of dbs with forms and i would like to make a copies of them with there names changed
But the problem is, when save a copy of a DB and change Its name, the forms seem to loose there assosiation with it
If i then go to the original DB and edit its forms i can copy the form to the new DB, but it has lost all its tab comands and has other discrepencies that need fixing
Is there an easier way to copy a DB and change its name that will keep the forms with it ?
the other problem is that if you go into a DBs properties and change its name it will not find its forms any more
I remember that on the Win Mobile it would ask you if you would like to change the name of the forms associated with it as well
Thanks for any Help
Gab-Hop

Re: Renaming DB problems

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat May 31, 2014 9:55 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

The easiest thing to do here is to:

1. Manually create a copy of the database using a file manager. You will find the file in the /HanDBase folder at the root level of the phone's storage.
2. Alter the name of the database within HanDBase using Database Properties / General.
3. Open the original database.
4. Go to Database Properties / Forms
5. Click on the first of the forms associated with the database and then click on the option to copy the form to another database.
6. Choose the new database from the list that appears.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby Cassius » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Is there an expected ETA for a fix to this? The workaround is quite difficult to explain to staff that are, at best, not IT inclined.
Cassius

Postby Gab-Hop » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi Brian

1. Manually create a copy of the database using a file manager. You will find the file in the /HanDBase folder at the root level of the phone's storage.
2. Alter the name of the database within HanDBase using Database Properties / General.
5. Click on the first of the forms associated with the database and then click on the option to copy the form to another database.

This it exactly what i did
But the problem with this is that all of the tab and button actions like moving between multable forms and so on are mucked up or lost and they need to be remade in the new DB
I was hoping for a way to keep these Links intact?
Thanks
Gab-Hop

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 am

Cassius wrote:Is there an expected ETA for a fix to this? The workaround is quite difficult to explain to staff that are, at best, not IT inclined.

I'm hoping we can get this fixed in the next update. I don't have an official estimate at this time, though.

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:49 am

Gab-Hop wrote:Hi Brian

This it exactly what i did
But the problem with this is that all of the tab and button actions like moving between multable forms and so on are mucked up or lost and they need to be remade in the new DB
I was hoping for a way to keep these Links intact?
Thanks

Unfortunately not without reassigning them until we get a fix in place. Sorry!

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Gab-Hop » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:58 am

Unfortunately not without reassigning them until we get a fix in place. Sorry!

Hi All
I have found a workaround for renaming DBs
The problem has been that if you rename a DB inside the DBs properties you will loose its forms that are connected with it

Solution
when you go to rename a DB, go to the properties, rename it, and then before you go out of the properties go into the forms and open one of them then close the properties.
This will reconnect the forms to the DB
If you then go to the form folder in explorer
You will see a form named with the original name and also one with the new name
You can now delete the one with the original name and you are left with the new renamed and linked form

Hope you can understand :D
Gab-Hop

Postby Cassius » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 am

That doesn't help if you still want the original database though.
Cassius

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Cassius wrote:That doesn't help if you still want the original database though.

Hi,

Please try the following after you clone your original database:

1. Open the original database within HanDBase for Android
2. While viewing its list of records, select Menu / Database Properties
3. When the screen refreshes to show the properties, scroll down (if necessary) and select Forms
4. When the list of forms appears, tap on the first of the forms
5. Tap on the Copy button, which appears as two overlaying sheets of paper, at the bottom right of the screen
6. When the popup appears asking how to perform the copy operation, choose to copy the form to another database
7. Choose the target database you want

This should get you what you are needing, with copies of forms alongside the cloned databases.

Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby Cassius » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi,

Please try the following after you clone your original database:

1. Open the original database within HanDBase for Android
2. While viewing its list of records, select Menu / Database Properties
3. When the screen refreshes to show the properties, scroll down (if necessary) and select Forms
4. When the list of forms appears, tap on the first of the forms
5. Tap on the Copy button, which appears as two overlaying sheets of paper, at the bottom right of the screen
6. When the popup appears asking how to perform the copy operation, choose to copy the form to another database
7. Choose the target database you want

This should get you what you are needing, with copies of forms alongside the cloned databases.

Normally when the form doesn't copy with the database when you try and copy the form over the new database actually won't show up.
Cassius

Next

Return to HanDBase for Android