'move to ' option let my database disappear!

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

'move to ' option let my database disappear!

Postby Christiane » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I am pretty distraught... I just tried to get my data onto my computer (it's patient data for the Royal college of anaesthetist logbook). I've never managed to do it before (I'm not the most technically versatile person in the universe), it told me to convert my date into export.txt files. I thought the 'move to' option would do that. so I pressed it, and let the database be moved to a place with the same name. nothing happened, apart from when I now open my database it's completely empty!!! Anyone have any idea how this could have happened and where my data is? I'm using the database named RCAv6. I have emailed everything to my mail beforehand. Can that be converted back into the database file? Or can I use that to feed the desktop version so I won't have to type everything out manually? It's more than 500 cases! I hope that it's salvageable... Thank you very very much for your time!
Christiane

Re: 'move to ' option let my database disappear!

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Christiane,

Thanks for writing.

First, regarding your data in email, did you email the records or the .pdb database file to yourself? If it is the records data, when open the email you will the actual values, whereas if it is the database the email will contain a single file attachment.

If it has the single file attachment, please do the following:

1. Open the email
2. Tap on the database file
3. When prompted, tap on the option to open it in HanDBase

If it is text, is it formatted as

value 1, value 2, value 3
value 1a, value 2a, value 3a
..., ..., ...
value 1d, value 2d, value 3d

or is it formatted as

Name: Brian
Hair: Brown

(note that the example data is just that, it is the formatting type we need to know).

Finally, when you selected the Move To option, you should have been prompted to select a target database. If that database does not have the structure of the original, the move won't work. If it did work when you open the new database you should see the records. My understanding is that this did not work, right? Could you describe your exact steps and the results?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:48 am

The move to.. command moves all the records in your current view from one database file to another. The command is not under the file menu because it does not move the file or create a copy. If you wanted to make a duplicate of the file you can use the file explorer program to copy it to a different location.

From your description, it sounds like you moved the records in the database to the very same file. That means the desktop opened a new copy of the file, moved the entries to that version and saved it. But since the file remained open, now with no records, if you saved that file you have saved a blank version over the version you just moved to. And that would explain what you're seeing now.

Hoping that you are using the Plus version of the desktop with the conduit installed. If so, the conduit makes backups each time you sync of the databases that it merges from the device and desktop. You can find these backups in the folder:

My Documents\HanDBase\UserName\Backup

Hopefully you do have the conduit and you should be able to restore a database file pretty easily. If you do have it and find the file, you can restore it simply by opening it in the desktop program and selecting File, Install to Smartphone/handheld, and then choosing your username.

I hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby Christiane » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Dear Brian, Thank you for your reply! I sent the date in the last format, Name: ...; Age: ..., etc. so it's a pretty long Email, no attachments. I literally just selected the 'move to' option, the only option to move it to in the drop down menu was that exact same name of teh data base, I clicked 'ok', and then it was all gone. simple as that. Theoretically it should have been copied to the same sort of database, as it's a template by the royal college. But the database is empty. Is there any way I can Backtrack this email and reconvert it into the database and then put it onto the computer? Thanks in advance for your help...

Chris
Christiane

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 am

Christiane wrote:Dear Brian, Thank you for your reply! I sent the date in the last format, Name: ...; Age: ..., etc. so it's a pretty long Email, no attachments. I literally just selected the 'move to' option, the only option to move it to in the drop down menu was that exact same name of teh data base, I clicked 'ok', and then it was all gone. simple as that. Theoretically it should have been copied to the same sort of database, as it's a template by the royal college. But the database is empty. Is there any way I can Backtrack this email and reconvert it into the database and then put it onto the computer? Thanks in advance for your help...

Chris

Hi Chris,

With the data in the latter format, you will be able to recover it into database format, but you will have to do a bit of formatting first.

Instead of each record being (this is an example):

Name: George
Height: 60 inches
Hair: Orange

You will want to format it as

Name, Age, Height, Hair
George, Age, 60 inches, Orange

You would only want the field names on the first row, followed by the additional rows of data.

I recommend copying the contents of the email to a text file on your computer to test making these changes.

Please let me know when you have the data formatted in this manner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android