pull fields from parent into link/linked child

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

pull fields from parent into link/linked child

Postby shalom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 am

I have a parent link/linked child set up. I want to pull several fields from the parent. Based on info in the following post

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2714&p=11522&hilit=relational+export#p11522

here is waht I did:

Parent: Name (text); ID (DBPopup); Units (link: Child, lName, Name)
Child: lName (linked: Parent, Name); rName (relationship: Parent, lName, Name, Name); ID# (relationship: Parent, lName, Name, ID)

What is does: I tap on Units in a Parent record and it goes to Child. I add a record in child (Name from Parent is displayed in lName), so I tap either rName or ID#. Instead of pulling the info from the desired field, it goes to Parent and displays no records. Both are set to pull from the first record, but that doesn't really matter because there is only one matching record in Parent and it is supposed to be linked.

Do I do something wrong or is it not working correctly?
shalom

Re: pull fields from parent into link/linked child

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:53 am

Hi,

Try using DB Popup fields to pull the data. Assign a common group number to each of the DB Popups in the parent database and when you select a record from the lookup, all of those values associated with the group will pull at once.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Re: pull fields from parent into link/linked child

Postby shalom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 am

The idea of using Relationship is so I don't have to search for the parent record. I figured out what I was doing wrong. This is the way I had it set up:

rName (relationship: Parent, lName, Name, Name); ID# (relationship: Parent, lName, Name, ID)

This is what I changed it to:

rName (relationship: Parent, lName, Units, Name); ID# (relationship: Parent, rName, Name, ID)
Units is the link field in Parent

So now, the child record pulls the name into a field that will export and it pulls other important info.

There is a bit of a learning curve on these field types. Thanks for your response.
shalom

Return to HanDBase for Android