Move from Windows Mobile to Android

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Move from Windows Mobile to Android

Postby zooguy1492 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 pm

I purchased HanDBase Professional for Windows Mobile Classic/Professional (Pocket PC) back in 2010. I have several databases on my Windows mobile device. I'm using 4.1.5d Desktop version.

I've now bought a Samsung Android phone.

1) What will I need to do to port my databases from Windows Mobile/Desktop to my new Android Device. I have links between databases in my application.
2) Would I need to repurchase the Handbase desktop application for my Android if I wanted to sync with a PC?
3) Would I just need to purchase "HanDBase Plus for Android" and then reuse the other components I already purchased?
4) Is the functionality the same between the Windows Mobile and Android implementation
zooguy1492

Re: Move from Windows Mobile to Android

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

1) You will need to purchase a copy of HanDBase for Android from Google Play if you have not already done so. It is available for $9.99. When you open HanDBase for Android, a folder titled HanDBase will be completed within the phone's internal storage. You can copy your databases directly into this folder and begin using them without any need for conversion.

2 & 3) We encourage the optional HanDBase Plus for Android / Windows addon. It will enable WiFi based syncing. You can purchase it via the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard in your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html

When finished with the upgrade, download the installer and note the new registration code (it will be listed to the right of the download link).

Double click on the exe and follow the default installation prompts.

To set up syncing, you would do the following:

- On your Android, enable Wifi, taking care to connect to the same network your computer uses
- Open HanDBase for Android and tap the Connect button (it resembles two rotating arrows) on the database selection screen
- Open HanDBase Desktop
- Select the Configure / Android Users menu option
- When the sync dialog appears click the option to set up a new partnership
- In the prompts select the option to set up syncing via WiFi and enter a name for the partnership

Databases that are on your Android will copy to your computer. To queue a database for installation onto your Android, open it in HanDBase Desktop, select the File / Install menu option, select the Android from the popup dialog, close the dialog, close the database and sync.

4) Functionality meets and exceeds the HanDBase for Windows Mobile offering, with many more great features on the way.

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby zooguy1492 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks.

I also copied my HDF files into the HandBase/Forms folder. I have a Galaxy Note 4 and the text on the form is very small. For that matter the whole form is very small. I assume this is because of the different resolution on my Windows Mobile and Android device. How do I fix this? I played with the scale factor and form sizes but that didn't help.
zooguy1492

Postby mjhanna » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Yes, resolution certainly matters. I posted the results of my own experimentation which might help explain both Form Size dimensions and scaling here. Hopefully those notes should help in picking appropriate Form Sizes and specified Scaling Factors for Android devices based on their resolution.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby curtterp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 am

zooguy1492 wrote:Thanks.

I also copied my HDF files into the HandBase/Forms folder. I have a Galaxy Note 4 and the text on the form is very small. For that matter the whole form is very small. I assume this is because of the different resolution on my Windows Mobile and Android device. How do I fix this? I played with the scale factor and form sizes but that didn't help.

You might want to consider the in app purchase of forms, so you can edit the forms directly on your device. That would make it much easier to work on, rather than trying something on your desktop, transferring the form, then opening the form.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby zooguy1492 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 pm

I've already been using the Android Form designer.

It appears I need to reduce the form size to get it to fill the entire screen of my Samsung Note. I tried playing with the Scale Factor (for both Smartphone and Tablet) but it doesn't seem to have any effect. My text is now too big so how do I reduce its size?

Is there any documentation on the Android Form Designer or the Android Application in general?
zooguy1492

Postby zooguy1492 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Brian_Houghton wrote:2 & 3) We encourage the optional HanDBase Plus for Android / Windows addon. It will enable WiFi based syncing. You can purchase it via the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard in your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html

I currently have HandBase Professional (4.1.5d). Should I buy:
1) HanDBase Plus for Android Add-on
2) HanDBase Professional for Android Add-on
I original purchased the "Professional" version to sync a database with Microsoft Access but I had trouble getting this to work.

Would I need to purchase option 2 if I want to keep the syncing the Microsoft Access?
zooguy1492

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up.

You would only need the Professional package if you want to sync with Access.

If you run into problems getting Access syncing working, please let me know.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby curtterp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:55 pm

One item to note syncing to an Access database. If your access database has an auto increment field, that field will cause errors in sync because MS Access does not allow external values for the auto increment field
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Return to HanDBase for Android