Formula to find Month number & view Sept to current

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Formula to find Month number & view Sept to current

Postby shalom » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 am

I found a formula to calculate the day of the week from a date, but I don't quite understand the way the date number is computed to be able to figure out the formula to compute the month number or the year. It would be helpful for more explanation on the way dates are stored or to get the formulas.

Also, the year for the girls club I work with runs from September through August to correspond with school years. Is there a way to set up a view filter to show records from September to present without having to change the filter every year?
shalom

Re: Formula to find Month number & view Sept to current

Postby curtterp » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

You can set the filter as a custom date range from September to August. This would work because I am assuming that you wouldn't have any records in the future, so records will only be to the current date (or last date were records are entered).
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Re: Formula to find Month number & view Sept to current

Postby shalom » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 pm

The custom date range could work, but it seems like I would have to change it each year

By current, I meant whatever the current date is as long as it is anywhere between September 1 of one calender year and August 31 of the next. For example, for this year I want all records between 9/1/14 and 8/31/15, since it is November right now it would naturally only show records up to November. I guess what I really need is all records since a specific month in this case September. So this year, it would show all records since 9/1/14, but next year it would automatically change to show all records since 9/1/15, etc. This is an attendance database so records will be added weekly. It would be nice not to have to do maintenance every year to change the filter.

I see an option for 'This Year to Date', but I need something like 'From Month x to Date' where I can set it as 9 for September. That would make it like the 'This Year To Date', but with a flexible beginning of year. This might be a great feature to add to the filters. I know some business don't follow the calendar year. In the meantime, If I can figure out how to pull the month and year from a date, maybe I can figure out a way to do it automatically. The Custom Date range could work if it allowed a date field instead of hardcoded date. The upper range date could be set to the max and I a calculated date field could contain the currently desired date provided I could figure out how to compute the integer for the desired date based on the current date.
shalom

Return to HanDBase for Android