possible to increase line spacing?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Re: possible to increase line spacing?

Postby Gab-Hop » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 am

[quote You know as well as I do it wasn't cheap../quote]
I must disagree here
I looked long and hard for an app that has this level of functionality and never came up with anything this good with the multi user syncing to Access ability, that DDH provides within this price range and would be willing to pay more if need be
Even with some of the issues where android falls behind eg syncing complications i am sure that it will catch up to the earlier platforms level of functionality soon
Thanks Dave
Gab-Hop

Postby mkmkmk » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:16 am

Hi all

here my mail from June 19, 2013 to Dave. He knows since than, that there is a Problem with the list line spacing.

This just for Info.

By the way: I am a fan of physical Keyboards, actually I use Blackberry Q10 and Passport, and preordered Blackberry classic. With the new OS 10.3.1.xxx Handbase is FULL functional and stable and still the most EXCELENT database program (loaded by "snap" or Amazon app shop). The good "old days" of Palm Treo are here again....
BUT: I also use sometime some newer Androids. The higher the Screen Resolution, so "unusable" is the list view. For exaplme the LG G3 with Screen 1440 x 2560 the list is not possible to read. So I keep my "old" Galaxy note 3 NEO with Screen 720 x 1280 where the list view is excellent. You see, I buy my phones principally in first line to use Handbase....

To: dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:24 AM
Subject: Handbase on Blackberry 10

Dear Dave, I use and love Handbase since my first Palm OS device. Then I switched to Iphone and Android (actual devices
S4 and Note 2). But I miss badly the physical keyboard, so I decided to buy a Blackberry Q10. With the "Android-
sideloading" it is possible, to run Handbase on my Q10. On "crackberry" is a topic how to do this: http://forums.crackberry.com/android-ap ... 10-817781/

But it is not very stable, it crashes sometimes. By the way, some years ago I mailed to you with the suggestion to re-introduce
"Handbutton" to have for each database an own launcher...
And another Point: on the new android devices with very high
screen Resolution (Galaxy S4, HTC one), the titles are "cutted", only visible half of the text (see my last picture).

Thank you for reading and developping the outstanding program "Handbase"! And thank you for releasing "forms" for
Android as soon as possible!

Martin
mkmkmk

Postby mkmkmk » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 am

IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
just a little comparison:

from left to right:
Blackberry Q10, Passport, Galaxy note 3 Neo, Galaxy note 3, LG G3
mkmkmk

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:34 am

mkmkmk wrote:Hi all

here my mail from June 19, 2013 to Dave. He knows since than, that there is a Problem with the list line spacing.

This just for Info.

BUT: I also use sometime some newer Androids. The higher the Screen Resolution, so "unusable" is the list view. For exaplme the LG G3 with Screen 1440 x 2560 the list is not possible to read. So I keep my "old" Galaxy note 3 NEO with Screen 720 x 1280 where the list view is excellent. You see, I buy my phones principally in first line to use Handbase....

To: dhaupert@ddhsoftware.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:24 AM
Subject: Handbase on Blackberry 10

And another Point: on the new android devices with very high
screen Resolution (Galaxy S4, HTC one), the titles are "cutted", only visible half of the text (see my last picture).

Thank you for reading and developping the outstanding program "Handbase"! And thank you for releasing "forms" for
Android as soon as possible!

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking your time to post this message in which you reported the line spacing problem on higher resolution android devices going back to June 2013. This is why I thought the most recent response from DDH was weak. Perhaps I overly expressed my feelings, nevertheless they knew about this problem long ago and have yet to address it.

Brian's most recent response in this thread was...
possible to increase line spacing? wrote:
Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Dale,

Thanks for following up. I'm hoping we can get a fix in the next release.

Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software]

It's now 1 1/2 years after an earlier report was made. I agree with everyone, handbase is a great program and we were all willing to pay a premium over other database apps for years and on multiple devices. I guess this is why I finally expressed my feelings on this issue. "I'm hoping we can get a fix in the next release." is not what us dedicated user's want to hear at this point...only to be let down again. Martin is using an old device just so he can use handbase...that's a dedicated user. Let's please fix it once and for all DDH so those of us with higher resolution screens can use it once again, on our newer devices.

Thank you DDH
Tom

Postby khodadad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 am

This has been reported in the past with plenty of detail about the specific details.
It is annoying and it is even more annoying when going to screens with more screen density.
At that time, I reported that it is the only application with this problem. I was told that this was a common problem in other apps. None of the other apps I use have this kind of problems.
Since then (1 year ago) I have installed dozens of apps and I still have to see just one that has this kind of problems.

One year, no fix.
khodadad

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Everyone,

First, I apologize that my response/myself was perceived as weak or "pathetic".

I understand and apologize for each and every one of your frustrations (regarding HanDBase). As someone who uses hundreds of different apps I know the frustration that comes with not getting updates to problems as quickly as they should be delivered.

To that end, I *wish* I could deliver new features and fixes to issues really quickly. It would benefit all of you. It would benefit me. The reality, which some of you know and which some of you may not, is that DDH is a really small company. Both Dave and I have full time jobs elsewhere and work part time on HanDBase. Even if it may seem we are here at all times, the reality is that we are not.

As to hiring extra help, that is not a possibility at this time due to financial constraints (see the previous paragraph).

We are working on an update to HanDBase for Android that incorporates new features (external field support) and fixes several bugs. One of the things we are going to address is automatic row height adjustment.

As to a release date, I'm not going to place any estimates out there. It is not responsible of me for several reasons.

There are a couple of things you can do right now to help resolve the field text being cut off:

1. Adjust the font size used within HanDBase

To do this, open HanDBase to the database selection screen. Open the Menu and select Preferences. Use the sliders to adjust the font size for list view, and for record view, if you so choose. I've communicated with several different people and this always seemed to help them.

Based on what I see in the screenshots (sorry I don't have those particular devices), using option 1 should resolve all of those display issues.

2. Adjust the font size and/or font choice on your phone.

I use Samsung devices. WIthin their settings they have font control options, where you can choose size and font type. Some of the fonts are bigger than others. The font sizes given are "tiny", which in my opinion is still to big for my Note's screen, and "Huge" which is REALLY big. Tweaking your font choice and size, depending on the phone you are using, can help as well.

Regardless of option 1 and 2, you may have an issue with the field row being small. See below if that applies to your situation.

If neither of these solutions help you, the most helpful thing to do would be to reply with the following information about your device:

- Model and make of phone/tablet, ie Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 4 Edge
    - Version of OS
    - Screen density (ppi)
    - Screen dimensions, ie 1500 x 2000

My hope is that this information helps you to a) resolve fields being cut off by adjusting font sizing and b) helps you to understand why updates are not flowing freely like you and probably most of you would like.

If you have specific concerns, also please feel free to contact me at support@ddhsoftware.com
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Here we are a year later! ???

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:38 am

Well here we are a year later. Actually almost 11 months ago Brian wrote this about fixing line spacing:

"We are working on an update to HanDBase for Android that incorporates new features (external field support) and fixes several bugs. One of the things we are going to address is automatic row height adjustment."

Well a year ago I said this was pathetic and many forum members jumped all over me. A year later after paying premium prices for all the versions (pc, ios and android) we still have an Android version, which on several devices that you practically need a magnifying glass to read the list view. Very customer oriented and customer focused wouldn't you say....?

Disappointing to say the least.
Tom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting. We are sorry for not being able to release an update to address this issue sooner.

While it is possible to compensate for spacing issues using the options in settings and tweaking the font type/size used on the device in its display settings, we know that this isn't always ideal.

It's probably not any consolation and definitely not an excuse as we can always do better, but we want to share that we are not some large company simply not doing anything. Both Dave and I are regular guys working full time jobs to pay the bills and make ends meet, with everything we do here coming in the time that is left over.

With this said, I wish I could speed up the process but unfortunately that's not something that I'm able to do at this time.

Again, we are sorry for your frustration, and we'll strive to do better.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby tsipantzi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 am

Hi Brian and Dave. I just upgraded from a RAZR MAXX HD to a Droid Turbo 2 and now have the same problem. I love your product and use it daily. I really hope the fix is not another year or two away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
tsipantzi

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:30 am

Thanks for posting.

Please be sure to adjust the height of the fonts in rows, and take into consideration the overall font sizes used in the Display settings of the device.

I'll notify when an update is available.

Thanks for your patience.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

PreviousNext

Return to HanDBase for Android