Barcode / QR-Code usable?

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

Barcode / QR-Code usable?

Postby klim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:07 am

Hi, because you don't offer a time limited or restricted android version of HanBBase to give it a try by myself, i must ask some question here.
I already used the forum to find an answer to my question, but it was not clear to me.

[*]Can i scan Barcodes/OR-Codes with HanDBase?
[*]Barcode Scan functionality built in or by using an installed third party Barcode application for reading?
[*]Is Barcode reading well integrated in HanDBase, this means:
[*][*]Fill any ASCII field with data from Barcode?
[*][*]Do some action after Barcode scan, instead of fill a field?
[*][*]Well integrated in forms/gui?

From the customers point of view, it's hard to get an impression about your software product without the option to test your product before purchasing.
klim

Re: Barcode / QR-Code usable?

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:28 am

Hi klim,

Thanks for posting.

The Android version of HanDBase does not yet support barcode scanning, but there is a third party solution you can take advantage of. A company called Tec-It has created a third party keyboard that incorporates barcode scanning into its functionality.

There is a demo to that app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... anner.demo so you should install it onto your Android to make sure its scanning capabilities suit your needs.

Using this keyboard you can scan into any text field, including those within HanDBase.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby klim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for fast reply, but i've to mention that a third party solution for Barcode reading could not convince me, sounds to me like a tinkered solution.
A purchase will maybe follow when Barcode reading was officially implemented in HanDBase.
klim

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 am

@klim, in your original post you mention "Barcode Scan functionality built in or by using an installed third party Barcode application for reading?" The solution that Brian provided would be a "third-party Barcode application", pre your requirements. However the app he posted a link to was not the one that would easily work. The same company, TEC-IT, has various Barcode scanning apps. The one Brian posted a link to is for external Bluetooth scanners. However they do have the Keyboard one he mentioned. It allows you to select a separate keyboard for use on your device that provides the Barcode scanning function into any app. It's called Barcodescanner Keyboard. The full function app is only $3.99, which is much cheaper than having to purchase an external scanner, which was required in the PalmOS and Windows Mobile versions of HanDBase in the past. You can download a demo of this app here.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tecit.android.barcodekbd.demo

I've tested this on my Android device and it works great. It supports standard barcodes as well as QR codes and when scanned it will paste the results into the field you currently have the cursor in. I tested this in a basic database as well as in a database with a Form. It scanned the data into the selected field, be it the standard edit record screen or a Form. This even works with the Quick Search field, bringing up the single record with the value in the field set to Quick Search.

While I know that the company is working on integrating barcode functionality directly into HanDBase I assume it will work similar to the iPhone version. This means you'll set up an External Barcode field that will scan the data into a specific field, when the Barcode field is tapped. With the above Keyboard solution, you'd be able to fulfill the requirement to scan into any field you need to scan into. Assuming the built in function is like the iPhone version, you'd have to set up an External field for each field you want to scan data into. As far as the "Action" after scanning. Based on the iPhone version, there wouldn't be any action if Barcode scanning were built into the program. It would just scan the value into a field. In a search, I haven't found any other Android Database apps that will do much more than that either.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase for Android