linked fields not working

Discuss plans for a future version of HanDBase for the Google Android platform

linked fields not working

Postby aquabee » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:16 pm

I know that it is probably something I am missing but I have 2 databases I am trying to link and I just can't get out to work the way the customers, orders database works. Can anyone help me get this going? I am new to handbase.
aquabee

Re: linked fields not working

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

When using linked fields, it is important to keep in mind that you must set up both a link and a linked field, one in the parent and one in the child. Once these fields are added to the respective databases, you will want to configure them so that they refer to the proper (other) database and (other) field.

A perhaps more flexible and easier to configure option is to use relationship fields.

To get set up with relationships, in the parent database, add a relationship field. When configuring the field, choose the field in the parent database that you want to use as the basis of the relationship. Then choose the related (child) database and the field to be related in that database. You can also choose if the first or last matching record should be used and you can also specify another field in the related (child) database to use that values are pulled into the parent.

When using the parent database if you tap on the relationship field, jumping to the child will show all records that match the contents of the related field.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for Android